Daily London
Police are hunting for a group allegedly armed with machetes after a teenager was found stabbed near a rugby event in Melbourne.
A 19-year-old man was found with stab wounds to his torso on the corner of Kitchener and Goulburn Street in Broadmeadows in the city’s north about 9.35pm yesterday.
He was taken to hospital with serious injuries and is now in a stable condition.
Police had earlier been called to a brawl at a community NRL event at Seabrook Reserve and are investigating if the two incidents are linked.
It is alleged a large group of armed teenagers were fighting at the event around 9.30pm.
Witnesses told police some of the group had machetes.
They have been described as all being aged in their late teens.
The group left the scene before police arrived.
Around 1000 people, including families with young children, were at the sporting event.
Detective Sergeant Matthew Feben told media it was an “appalling” to have weapons at a family event.
“It is completely unacceptable in any location for youths or anyone to be armed with a machete, especially being related to a peaceful community event,” Feben said.
“These are people just trying to go about an event in their community, they want to feel safe.
“They don’t want to experience this, they are no doubt feeling now in fear and distress.”
There had been an increased police presence at the event following a similar incident on Friday, police said.
Police are now asking any witnesses to come forward to help identify the group.
It is believed the teenagers involved in the alleged brawl left in a car heading towards Kitchener Street in Broadmeadows.

