By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: Barnaby Joyce snubs the Nationals but insists he remains a member of the party
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > Barnaby Joyce snubs the Nationals but insists he remains a member of the party
World Affairs

Barnaby Joyce snubs the Nationals but insists he remains a member of the party

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: October 27, 2025
Share

Daily London

Barnaby Joyce has snubbed the Nationals, but insists he is still a member of the regional party as his future in politics remains in limbo.

The former deputy prime minister skipped a party room meeting today as he considers leaving the Nationals over its stance on net zero and Pauline Hanson’s invitation to join her right-wing party One Nation.

“I’m not going to attend any party room that believes in net zero,” he told reporters in Canberra. 

Barnaby Joyce remains a Nationals member, for now. (Alex Ellinghausen)

While he missed the meeting, Joyce said he would still sit with the regional party in parliament when it resumed today.

Joyce has refused to speculate on the “hypotheticals” of his political future, but ruled out running as an independent.

He also confirmed he was still a member of the Nationals for now, and suggested he may remain with the party if it dumps its net-zero target.

“I’ll see what they come up with,” he said. 

The Nationals are reviewing their position on net zero by 2050, which Joyce has so adamantly opposed that he declared earlier this month his relationship with party leadership had “irreparably broken down” and he would not recontest his seat of New England at the next election.

Joyce’s own bill opposing net zero will be going before parliament today.

Nationals leader David Littleproud told Sky News the party would not decide its stance on net zero today, adding that it must come up with an alternative climate plan if it is to drop the target.

“I get that takes time, but I’d rather do it right and be able to look the Australian people in the eye. And we encourage Barnaby to be part of that solution,” he said.

David Littleproud said that while he wants Barnaby Joyce to remain in the party. (Rhett Wyman/SMH)

He said that while he wants Joyce to remain in the party, but would not offer up a seat on the frontbench to entice him back.

Instead, he said the party has to “create an environment” where Joyce feels “welcome and wants to come back and contribute”. 

“I’ve made it very clear to him that he’s welcome back at any time, and he can make a constructive contribution with the rest of the party room,” he said.

“He needs only to walk in and talk to the room.”

Joyce confirmed he had spoken to Littleproud.

“I’ve had a brief and courteous conversation with him. It went for about three minutes,” he said.

At the same time, Joyce said he would also be meeting with Hanson, who invited him to join her party upon news of his relationship breakdown with the Nationals.

“I’ll meet with Pauline Hanson. I’ve met with Pauline Hanson before. I mean, this is a free country. You’re allowed to actually meet other people. I talk to people from the Greens,” he said.

If Joyce defects to One Nation, he could take other dissatisfied colleagues with him, giving Hanson a major win and deepening the rift within the Coalition.

You Might Also Like

Copycat posters of accused and convicted criminals in the style of street artist Peter Drew appear in Melbourne
Deputy NSW Premier Prue Car to return to state parliament following breast cancer battle
Fishermen snare 150kg bull shark in Sydney Harbour
Plans to make it illegal to leave dogs in hot cars in NSW
Police hunt man after failed carjacking attempt on busy Melbourne street
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Radiohead’s Thom Yorke says he would ‘absolutely not’ perform in Israel
Next Article Are you eligible for Meta’s $50 million compensation fund?

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.