By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: US President Donald Trump flags intention to sue BBC for up to $7 billion over documentary edit
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > US President Donald Trump flags intention to sue BBC for up to $7 billion over documentary edit
World Affairs

US President Donald Trump flags intention to sue BBC for up to $7 billion over documentary edit

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: November 15, 2025
Share

Daily London

The BBC apologised to the president after airing an edited version of his speech on January 6, 2021, splicing two parts of his address which took place almost an hour apart.

In a letter to Trump, the British broadcaster’s chair Samir Shah personally apologised for the edit of the speech and accepted it “unintentionally created the impression that we were showing a single continuous section of the speech”.

President Donald Trump speaks to reporters on Air Force One on his way to his Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach. (AP)

Trump’s lawyer had previously sent the BBC a letter demanding an apology and threatened to file a US$1 billion ($1.5 billion) lawsuit.

The president said he still plans to sue the BBC, potentially now for a much larger sum.

”We’ll sue them for anywhere between a billion and five billion dollars, probably some time next week. I think I have to do it,” Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One.

“They’ve even admitted that they cheated.”

The legal dispute was sparked by an edition of the BBC’s flagship current affairs series Panorama, titled “Trump: A Second Chance?” broadcast days before the 2024 US presidential election.

A third-party production company spliced together three quotes from two sections of the 2021 speech, into what appeared to be one quote in which Trump urged supporters to march with him and “fight like hell.”

The US president said he still plans to sue the BBC, potentially now for a much larger sum. (Jack Taylor/Reuters)

Among the parts cut out was a section where Trump said he wanted supporters to demonstrate peacefully.

Trump earlier declared the BBC was “fake news”, adding that the people of the UK are “very angry” about the edit.

He said he would raise the issue with UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer.

“I’m going to call him over the weekend. He actually put a call in to me. He’s very embarrassed,” Trump said.

Director-general Tim Davie, along with news chief Deborah Turness, quit on Sunday, saying the scandal was damaging the BBC and “as the CEO of BBC News and Current Affairs, the buck stops with me.”

You Might Also Like

Man charged over alleged antisemitic threats on flight from Bali to Sydney
Prime Minister Anthony promotes campaign to unite community after Bondi Beach attack
Injured man found tied up in back of car in Sydney’s west
Victorian lotto syndicate share in win of more than $10 million
Three people spotted car-surfing in busy Sydney tunnel
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Aussies pay this guy up to $5000 for what’s in his mouth
Next Article Teenagers charged after BMW torched following alleged violent carjacking in Sydney’s south-west

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.