By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: Bangladesh tribunal sentences ousted leader for crimes against humanity
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > Bangladesh tribunal sentences ousted leader for crimes against humanity
World Affairs

Bangladesh tribunal sentences ousted leader for crimes against humanity

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: November 17, 2025
Share

Daily London

A special tribunal sentenced Bangladesh’s ousted Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to death on charges of crimes against humanity for her crackdown on a student uprising last year that killed hundreds of people and led to the toppling of her 15-year rule.

The Dhaka-based International Crimes Tribunal also sentenced former Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan to death for his involvement in the use of deadly force against protesters.

Both Hasina and Khan fled to India last year and were sentenced in absentia.

Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina speaks during a press conference in Dhaka, Bangladesh, on January 6, 2014. (AP Photo/Rajesh Kumar Singh, File)

A third suspect, a former police chief, was sentenced to five years in prison after becoming a state witness against Hasina and pleading guilty.

Hasina and Khan were accused more than the killing of hundreds of people during a student-led uprising in July and August of 2024.

The country’s health adviser under the country’s current interim government said more than 800 people were killed and about 14,000 were injured. However, the UN in a February report said up to 1400 may have been killed.

Hasina says the charges are unjustified, arguing that she and Khan “acted in good faith and were trying to minimise the loss of life”.

“We lost control of the situation, but to characterise what happened as a premeditated assault on citizens is simply to misread the facts,” she said on Monday in a statement denouncing the verdict.

The verdict comes as the country still grapples with instability after Hasina was ousted on August 5, 2024. Bangladeshi Nobel Peace Prize laureate Muhammad Yunus took over as the head of an interim government three days after her fall. Yunus has vowed to punish Hasina and banned the activities of her Awami League party.

Protesters throw stones and shout slogans during a standoff with police outside the demolished residence of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, Bangladesh’s former leader and the father of the country’s ousted Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina after the verdict against Hasina, in Dhaka, Bangladesh, on Monday, November 17, 2025. (AP Photo/Rajib Dhar)

A three-member tribunal, headed by Justice Golam Mortuza Mozumder, announced the tribunal’s ruling, a session that was broadcast live.

Some of those in the packed courtroom cheered when Mazumder announced the death penalty for Hasina. He admonished them, telling them to express their feelings outside the courtroom.

Many families of the killed and the injured during last year’s uprising waited for hours outside the tribunal ahead of the verdict.

It appeared unlikely that Hasina would return to Bangladesh to face her sentence. India had not responded to requests by Bangladesh to extradite her to face the trial.

Protesters shout slogans outside the demolished residence of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, Bangladesh’s former leader and the father of the country’s ousted Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina ahead of an expected verdict against Hasina, in Dhaka, Bangladesh, on Monday, November 17, 2025. (AP Photo/Ahadul Karim Khan)

The interim government beefed up security ahead of the verdict, with paramilitary border guards and police deployed in Dhaka and many other parts of the country.

Hasina’s Awami League party called for a nationwide shutdown to protest the verdict on Monday.

Hasina denounced Monday’s ruling, calling it “biased and politically motivated” in a statement. She also denounced the tribunal as “rigged” and alleged that it was “established and presided over by an unelected government with no democratic mandate”.

“In their distasteful call for the death penalty, they reveal the brazen and murderous intent of extremist figures within the interim government to remove Bangladesh’s last elected prime minister, and to nullify the Awami League as a political force,” Hasina said.

Protesters shout slogans outside the demolished residence of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, Bangladesh’s former leader and the father of the country’s ousted Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina ahead of an expected verdict against Hasina, in Dhaka, Bangladesh, on Monday, November 17, 2025. (AP Photo/Ahadul Karim Khan)

Hasina cannot appeal the verdict unless she surrenders or is arrested within 30 days of the judgment.

Tensions and disruptions grew in the country in recent days ahead of the verdict.

Nearly 50 arson attacks, mostly targeting vehicles, and dozens of crude bombs explosions were reported nationwide more than the past week. Two people were killed in the arson attacks, local media reported.

Authorities at the Supreme Court, in a letter to army headquarters on Sunday, requested the deployment of soldiers around the tribunal premises ahead of the verdict.

Yunus said his interim government would hold the country’s next elections in February, and that Hasina’s party would not get a chance to contest the race.

Bangladesh’s politics under Yunus has remained at a crossroads with limited signs of stability.

You Might Also Like

How a Reddit tip-off helped uncover Claudio Neves Valente, suspect in university and MIT professor shooting
Woman threatened at knifepoint for car keys in police station car park
Father jailed for ‘profoundly stupid’ fatal gun misfire
‘Callous’ arsonist hears fate for boy’s sleepover death
Iran protest death toll reaches 3766 amid fears it could be higher
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Many pilgrims believed killed in Saudi bus accident, Indian officials say
Next Article Why you should never pay a ransomware scammer

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.