By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: Deadly fire breaks out in high-rise residential buildings in Tai Po district
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > Deadly fire breaks out in high-rise residential buildings in Tai Po district
World Affairs

Deadly fire breaks out in high-rise residential buildings in Tai Po district

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: November 26, 2025
Share

Daily London

Thirteen people have been killed in a fire that spread across seven high-rise apartment buildings in a Hong Kong housing complex, and others are still trapped, the city’s fire services say.

Nine people were declared dead at the scene and four others who were sent to the hospital were later confirmed dead, authorities told reporters on Wednesday night. At least 15 others were injured.

About 700 people were evacuated to temporary shelters.

Flames engulf a building after a fire broke out at Wang Fuk Court, a residential estate in the Tai Po district of Hong Kong’s New Territories, on Wednesday, November 26, 2025. (AP Photo/Chan Long Hei)

The raging fire sent up a column of flames and thick smoke as it spread quickly on bamboo scaffolding and construction netting that had been set up around the exterior of the housing complex in Tai Po district, in the New Territories.

Records show the housing complex consisted of eight blocks with almost 2000 apartments housing about 4800 people.

Video from the scene showed multiple buildings close to each other ablaze, with bright flames and smoke shooting out of many of the apartments’ windows as night fell. Firefighters were aiming water at the intense flames from high up on ladder trucks.

The blaze started mid afternoon and after nightfall authorities upgraded it to a level five alarm, the highest level of severity, the Fire Services Department said. The fire was still raging after midnight local time.

Firefighters deployed 128 fire trucks and 57 ambulances to the scene.

The dead included one firefighter and another was being treated for heat exhaustion, Fire Services Department Director Andy Yeung told reporters.

Firefighters work to extinguish a fire which broke out at Wang Fuk Court, a residential estate in the Tai Po district of Hong Kong’s New Territories, on Wednesday, November 26, 2025. (AP Photo/Chan Long Hei)
Firefighters try to extinguish a fire which broke out at Wang Fuk Court, a residential estate in the Tai Po district of Hong Kong’s New Territories, on Wednesday, November 26, 2025. (AP Photo/Chan Long Hei)

Police said earlier that they had received multiple reports of people trapped in the affected buildings, but did not provide details.

Lo Hiu-fung, a Taipo District Council member, told local TV station TVB earlier Wednesday that most of the residents trapped in the fire were believed to be elderly people.

District officials in Tai Po have opened temporary shelters for people left homeless by the fire.

“I’ve given up thinking about my property,” a resident who only provided his surname, Wu, told TVB.

“Watching it burn like that was really frustrating.”

Smoke rises after a fire broke out at Wang Fuk Court, a residential estate in the Tai Po district of Hong Kong’s New Territories on Wednesday, November 26, 2025. (AP Photo/Chan Long Hei)
Firefighters try to extinguish a flames engulfing a building after a fire broke out at Wang Fuk Court, a residential estate in the Tai Po district of Hong Kong’s New Territories, on Wednesday, November 26, 2025. (AP Photo/Chan Long Hei)

Tai Po is a suburban area in the New Territories, in the northern part of Hong Kong and near the border with the mainland Chinese city of Shenzhen.

Bamboo scaffolding is a common sight in Hong Kong at building construction and renovation projects, though the government said earlier this year that it would start phasing it out for public projects because of safety concerns.

You Might Also Like

Woman sentenced for crepe attack on former Northern Territory chief minister Natasha Fyles
National Day of Reflection begins as Australia marks seven days since mass shooting
Multiple homes on fire as bushfire rips through NSW Central Coast suburb
Decades-old Sydney greyhound track to be torn down
Sophie ordered a gift weeks ago. Days before Christmas, it hasn’t been shipped
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article No daily drug tests for pilots before Sea World crash, inquest hears
Next Article Man charged after dogs shut in bike locker die in Sydney

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.