By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: Netanyahu submits request for pardon during ongoing corruption trial
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > Netanyahu submits request for pardon during ongoing corruption trial
World Affairs

Netanyahu submits request for pardon during ongoing corruption trial

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: November 30, 2025
Share

Daily London

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has asked the country’s president to grant him a pardon from corruption charges — seeking to end a long-running trial that has bitterly divided the nation.

Netanyahu, who has been at war against the country’s legal system over the charges, said the request would help unify the country at a time of momentous changes in the region.

But it immediately triggered denunciations from his opponents, who said it would weaken Israel’s democratic institutions and send a dangerous message that he is above the rule of law.

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu addresses lawmakers in the Knesset, Israel’s parliament, in Jerusalem, Monday, November 10, 2025. (AP Photo/Ohad Zwigenberg)

In a statement on Sunday the prime minister’s office said that Netanyahu had submitted a request for a pardon to the legal department of the Office of the President. The president’s office called it an “extraordinary request”, carrying with it “significant implications”.

Netanyahu is the only sitting prime minister in Israeli history to stand trial, after being charged with fraud, breach of trust and accepting bribes in three separate cases accusing him of exchanging favours with wealthy political supporters. He has not yet been convicted of anything.

Netanyahu rejects the allegations, and has condemned the case as a witch hunt orchestrated by the media, police and judiciary.

In a videotaped statement, Netanyahu said the trial has divided the country and that a pardon would help restore national unity. He also said the requirement that he appear in court three times a week is a distraction that makes it difficult for him to lead the country.

“The continuation of the trial tears us apart from within, stirs up this division, and deepens rifts,” he said.

Donald Trump has called for Netanyahu to be pardoned. (AP)

“I am sure, like many others in the nation, that an immediate conclusion of the trial would greatly help to lower the flames and promote the broad reconciliation that our country so desperately needs.”

Netanyahu has taken the stand multiple times over the past year, but the case has been repeatedly delayed as he has dealt with Israel’s wars and unrest stemming from the Hamas-led militant attacks of October 2023.

Netanyahu’s pardon request consisted of two documents — a detailed letter signed by his lawyer and a letter signed by Netanyahu. They’ll be sent to the justice ministry for opinions and will then be transferred to the Legal Adviser in the Office of the President, which will formulate additional opinions for the president.

Legal experts say the pardon request is not able to stop the trial.

“It’s impossible,” said Emi Palmor, former director general of the justice ministry.

Opposition leader Yair Lapid speaks in Israel’s parliament in October last year. (Debbie Hill/AP via CNN Newsource)

“You cannot claim that you’re innocent while the trial is going on and come to the president and ask him to intervene,” she said.

The only way to stop the trial is to ask the attorney general to withhold the proceedings, she said.

Netanyahu’s request sparked an immediate response from the opposition, which urged the president not to give in to his request.

“You cannot grant him a pardon without an admission of guilt, an expression of remorse and an immediate retirement from political life,” said opposition leader Yair Lapid.

You Might Also Like

Families describe horror as bushfire engulfed homes
How it’s believed the deadly Swiss bar tragedy unfolded
Riot squad arrives at pop-up Christmas Day party at Sydney beach
Europeans reeling as Trump imposes tariffs on eight countries over Greenland dispute
Embattled cruise ship runs aground on first trip since passenger’s death
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Dozens arrested in Port of Newcastle climate change protest
Next Article Australia weather update

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.