By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: Bruce Lehrmann’s Tasmanian car theft charges downgraded
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > Bruce Lehrmann’s Tasmanian car theft charges downgraded
World Affairs

Bruce Lehrmann’s Tasmanian car theft charges downgraded

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: December 4, 2025
Share

Daily London

Car theft charges have been downgraded in a case against Bruce Lehrmann, following a loss at a higher court where he sought to restore his reputation. 

The disgraced former Liberal staffer had sued Network Ten and journalist Lisa Wilkinson for defamation over an interview with Brittany Higgins on The Project in 2021 in which she claimed she had been raped.

Justice Michael Lee found in April 2024 that Lehrmann had, on the balance of probabilities, raped Higgins in Parliament House in 2019 after a night out. 

Car theft charges against Bruce Lehrmann have been downgraded. (Dan Peled)

The finding was upheld by the full court of the Federal Court yesterday.

Higgins expressed her relief at the decision in a statement on social media.

“Finally, it feels like I can breathe again,” she posted on Instagram, thanking the court for its decision.

“While on the face of it this was a defamation case against a media outlet, in reality this was once again a rape trial.

“I cannot begin to tell you how retraumatising it is to have your rapist weaponise the legal system against you for daring to speak out.

“Sadly, this isn’t uncommon. It’s a legal tactic that is being increasingly used around the world by perpetrators in a bid to sue victim-survivors into silence as a direct response to the #MeToo movement.”

Lehrmann has always denied he sexually assaulted Higgins, and a criminal case against him in 2022 was abandoned without any findings.

He did not appear in court yesterday and was represented by lawyer Zali Burrows, who said he was “overwhelmed” by the decision and was seeking advice on applying for special leave to contest the decision in the High Court. 

Lehrmann was directed to pay $2 million in damages after his initial defamation loss, and he must now also foot the bill for the legal costs of his opponents during his unsuccessful appeal.

Bruce Lehrmann has lost an appeal over findings that he probably raped his colleague. (Sam Mooy)

The 30-year-old had another court matter today, this time in Hobart, over a November 2024 incident where he absconded with a Toyota Prado.

The matter was heard before magistrate Robert Webster in a “contest mention” hearing, with most content suppressed. 

Prosecutor Bunewat Keo advised the court that a previous charge of car theft had been downgraded to driving without consent.

While Burrows attended court, Lehrmann was not sighted – contrary to an order last month from Webster that he must appear or risk arrest.

Prior to the hearing, Burrows told waiting journalists that her client was “not in a good way”, asking for compassionate coverage.

The matter continues before the Hobart Magistrates Court.

You Might Also Like

Social workers to be deployed to schools to stop young Victorians from turning to crime
South Korea’s move to ditch coal rings alarm bells for Australian exporters
One Nation leader wears burqa in Senate chamber in repeat of earlier stunt
Jacinta Allan apologises for antisemitism, announces legislation crackdown
Woman allegedly blows three times the legal limit with kids in the car on Christmas Day
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Alleged childcare paedophile hit with 83 new charges
Next Article Former cop moonlighting as childcare worker slapped with more charges

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.