By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: Former cop moonlighting as childcare worker slapped with more charges
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > Former cop moonlighting as childcare worker slapped with more charges
World Affairs

Former cop moonlighting as childcare worker slapped with more charges

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: December 4, 2025
Share

Daily London

A police officer moonlighting as a childcare worker is facing dozens of charges after he was hit with fresh allegations he took explicit photos and videos of children aged under six.

David William James is accused of producing the child abuse material while working at six out-of-school centres in Sydney’s north and the city between April 2021 and May 2024. 

The 27-year-old was facing 22 charges related to the production and possession child abuse material and two charges of intentionally sexually touching a child under 10 years old. 

A police officer moonlighting as a childcare worker is facing dozens of charges after he was hit with fresh allegations he took explicit photos and videos of children aged under six. (iStock)

But prosecutors laid a further six charges against James today ahead of a foreshadowed plea. 

The new charges include three counts of producing child abuse material and three counts of doing a sexual act by filming a child under 16 years old for child abuse material. 

James is now facing a total of 31 charges, although court records show 13 of those – including the child sexual touching allegations – are expected to be withdrawn. 

The former probationary constable was expected to enter pleas to the charges against him in Sydney’s Downing Centre Local Court today, but instead the matter was adjourned. 

There had been “slight changes” to the facts which James needed to be consulted about before the matter could proceed, the prosecutor disclosed while asking for an adjournment. 

Pleas will be entered when the matter returns to court shortly before Christmas, the court was told. 

The 27-year-old had been employed as a probationary constable but, after failing to pass his probation, continued in a civilian capacity until his resignation in May 2023.

NSW Police said they were unaware he was working in the childcare sector at the same time.

James came to the attention of Australian Federal Police investigators after they found child abuse material on the dark web, saying they traced it back to him in June 2024.

Around 1200 parents at the six centres where the alleged offences took place were contacted by federal investigators.

But James’ arrest raised more fears among parents after it was revealed he worked casually at nearly 60 centres over several years, including some of Sydney’s most elite schools.

James’ arrest sparked calls for better information-sharing about staff amid a nationwide reckoning in the childcare sector.

NSW Premier Chris Minns flagged tougher working-with-children requirements in August and childcare operators say a national register is a top priority, along with real-time notifications of staff under investigation.

Support is available from the National Sexual Assault, Domestic and Family Violence Counselling Service at 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732).

Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800.

Readers seeking support can contact Lifeline on 13 11 14 or beyond blue on 1300 22 4636.

You Might Also Like

Lucky escape for four men after boat capsizes off WA coast
Sam Moodie hospitalised after magpie swoop on walk home from school in Australind, WA
Jess wants to change her gender on her British passport and documents after transitioning six years ago. It may cost up to $5000
Tesla’s sales slowdown puts Elon Musk’s enormous pay deal at risk
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese recalls parliament to move reforms after Bondi attack
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Bruce Lehrmann’s Tasmanian car theft charges downgraded
Next Article Emergency roadworks leave commuters stranded for hours

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.