By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: Pentagon confirms it’s moving ahead with AUKUS nuclear submarine deal
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > Pentagon confirms it’s moving ahead with AUKUS nuclear submarine deal
World Affairs

Pentagon confirms it’s moving ahead with AUKUS nuclear submarine deal

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: December 5, 2025
Share

Daily London

The Pentagon has finished its review of the AUKUS defence pact between Australia, the US and UK, confirming it aims to proceed with the agreement.

Under the $368 billion deal, Australia will acquire nuclear-powered, but not nuclear-armed, submarines to help confront China’s rising military power in the Indo-Pacific.

Today, Pentagon spokesperson Sean Parnell announced the US still aims to “move forward with the historic and ambitious AUKUS agenda”.

A US Navy Virginia-class nuclear submarine. (US Dept of Defence) (US Department of Defence)

Earlier this year, US officials announced they were reviewing the terms of the agreement, signed by the three allies in 2021, amid concerns it did not meet US President Donald Trump’s “America first” policies.

Parnell said the review identified “opportunities to put AUKUS on the strongest possible footing”.

No details of what these were were provided.

Defence Minister Richard Marles said yesterday the federal government had received the document, but gave no information about its contents.

US Congressman Joe Courtney, a key backer of AUKUS in Washington DC, said in a media release the report “fully endorses” the tri-nation agreement.

Australia and its AUKUS partners, the United States and Britain, signed the defence deal in 2021. (AP)

A member of the House Armed Services Committee that had received the review, he said AUKUS was in harmony with Trump’s defence and security policies.

“It is important to note that the 2021 AUKUS agreement has now survived three changes of government in all three nations and still stands strong,” said Courtney.

He said the current policy of Australia receiving three US-built Virginia nuclear submarines by the next decade was on track.

But Courtney also said the findings of the report highlighted “critical deadlines” all three countries must achieve to ensure success.

You Might Also Like

NSW Opposition to mandate licence plates for riders under 18-years-old
Warnings issued as post-Christmas floods threaten Queensland
Millions more files found, as DOJ warns it will need a “few weeks” to release full records
Alan Jones’ lawyers may try to throw out sexual abuse claim over electronics dispute
Reality TV star who allegedly beheaded boyfriend falls pregnant
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Australian music festivals keep getting cancelled. Nearly half of Aussies say this could fix it
Next Article Diabetic driver in bid to dodge five-death inquest

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.