By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: Bondi Beach terror attack victims laid to rest as government looks to repair damaged community
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > Bondi Beach terror attack victims laid to rest as government looks to repair damaged community
World Affairs

Bondi Beach terror attack victims laid to rest as government looks to repair damaged community

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: December 18, 2025
Share

Daily London

The families of three victims of the Bondi Beach terror attack said goodbye to their loved ones today for the last time, including the family of Matilda, the youngest victim in the mass shooting.

The 10-year-old’s funeral was held at a synagogue in Woollahra as friends and family spilled onto the streets.

“She bore the name Matilda, to honour this great land, Australia’s heart and spirit, forever hand in hand,” NSW Premier Chris Minns said, reading Ode to Matilda, a poem written in her honour.
10-year-old Matilda was laid to rest at a funeral in Woollahra today. (AP)
There was a large police presence at the synagogue in Woollahra. (AP)

“She’s waltzing with the angels, where love will always stay.”

There was a significant police presence at the funeral, with officers seen checking flower bouquets to ensure they didn’t contain any hidden weapons.

“Every victim is going to resonate in our community, but Matilda, a 10-year-old, did not deserve any of this,” a family friend said.

Earlier in the day, a funeral was held at the same synagogue for the mass shooting’s oldest victim, 87-year-old Alex Kleytman.

The Holocaust survivor and Russian immigrant died while shielding his wife, Larisa.
Bondi Beach shooting victim Matilda. (Nine)
Mourners carry out the coffin of 10-year-old Matilda, the youngest victim of the Bondi Beach mass shooting. (Getty)

A third funeral was also held at Bondi Synagogue as grandfather Tibor Weitzen was laid to rest and remembered for how he lived rather than how he died.

“We just hope that these lives lost were not lost in vain and that there are major changes, that [this] never ever happen[s] again,” a family friend said.

NSW Treasurer Daniel Mookhey announced that the federal and state governments will cover the funeral costs of the victims, as well as providing up to $75,000 to the victims and family members of those who died in Sunday’s attacks.

“We’ll also be covering funeral costs and burial costs, and we will cover repatriation costs for those who have lost loved ones who are overseas,” he said.

“We’ll also be covering travel costs for family members that are coming from overseas or interstate to attend funerals as well.”

Business support packages of up to $20,000 are also set to be provided to small businesses affected by the attack that turned the iconic beach into a crime scene for multiple days.

The package includes $5000 one-off grants for small businesses in eligible locations and up to $20,000 grants for impacted small businesses in the immediate vicinity, and funding for various community groups.

Business NSW chief executive Daniel Hunter said that the package was an important step in the recovery for the Bondi community.

Alex Kleytman was shot while shielding his wife. (Kate Geraghty)

“Our Jewish community has been attacked in the most heinous way, and the pain and trauma from this act will be felt for a long time,” Hunter said.

“Local businesses are integral to Bondi’s social fabric. They are made up of people, workers, families and neighbours – who have been deeply affected by this tragedy.

“This support is a meaningful step in helping businesses and the community recover.”

The package also includes $1.5 million for the Community Services Group to provide additional security at Jewish community locations and $1 million for Waverley Council to assist with clean-up at Bondi Beach, and for community cohesion events.

Impacted businesses can register for support from tomorrow, with applications processed from early next week.

The road to normality has begun at Bondi as police tape was lifted earlier today. (Sitthixay Ditthavong)

Businesses can attend the Recovery Hub or contact Service NSW on 13 77 88 to organise a meeting with a Business Concierge member.

Businesses can also lodge insurance claims related to the Bondi terrorist attack.

Following the federal government’s declaration of the attack a terrorist incident under the Terrorism and Cyclone Insurance Act 2003.

You Might Also Like

Sarah Ferguson sent email to Jeffrey Epstein calling him a ‘legend’ and sparking rumours the financier fathered a child
Man fighting for life after being struck on the side of a Queensland motorway
Shocking video shows shark leaping out of Sydney river near school rowers
Calls for royal to face questions in UK and US after being stripped of titles
Queensland Health confirms common food source of six cases of rat bait poisoning in Logan
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Prime Minister Anthony Albanese accepts more could have been done to combat antisemitism
Next Article Young teen takes bullet to thigh while shielding two toddlers in Bondi attack

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.