Daily London
Nine newspapers reported that the volunteer-led organisation, Community Security Group, deemed the event high risk and asked for multiple officers to be stationed there for its duration.
A source shared that instead, “junior officers roaming Bondi Beach on a broad patrol had been instructed to monitor the event intermittently”.
NSW Police declined a request for comment as the terror attack is “subject to a critical incident investigation; a criminal investigation; and a coronial inquest”.
Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon has said that police base their response on the “threat that exists at the time”.
Shortly after the December 14 attack, the NSW government was forced to defend the actions of the officers who responded and were on scene.
Premier Chris Minns on December 16 said, “The NSW Police acted with bravery and integrity. They didn’t take a backward step”.
Police have increased their security at Cronulla Beach today, after a social media post emerged in the wake of the attack calling for a ”bashing day” 20 years on from the site of the race-fuelled riots.
Police, with help from the riot squad, mounted unit and water police, patrolled the beach.
But it was peaceful, and no “bashing” occurred.
Sutherland Shire Mayor Jack Boyd said police have been monitoring threats closely since the attack at Bondi.
“They’re collaborating to ensure that we can respond if anything did happen. But if you look around, everybody’s just enjoying a day at the beach,” he said.
The man accused of creating that social media post, 20-year-old Ryder Roy Shaw, was charged and has been denied bail at Gosford Court this week.
He will remain behind bars until his next hearing.
Police alleged his post publicly threatened violence on the grounds of race or religion.

