By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: Fire safety inspections lapsed for years at Swiss bar where 40 died in New Year’s blaze
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > Fire safety inspections lapsed for years at Swiss bar where 40 died in New Year’s blaze
World Affairs

Fire safety inspections lapsed for years at Swiss bar where 40 died in New Year’s blaze

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: January 6, 2026
Share

Daily London

Authorities are looking into whether soundproofing material on the ceiling conformed with regulations and whether the candles were permitted for use in the bar.

People stand around floral tributes and candles placed outside the sealed off Le Constellation bar in Crans-Montana, Swiss Alps, Switzerland, Saturday, Jan. 3, 2026, where a devastating fire left dead and injured during the New Year’s celebrations (AP Photo/ Antonio Calanni)
Swiss authorities have opened a criminal investigation into the bar managers. The two are suspected of involuntary homicide, involuntary bodily harm and involuntarily causing a fire, according to the Valais region’s chief prosecutor.

The regulations in Valais call for annual fire safety inspections of buildings that are “accessible to the public,” and regional authorities say they are the responsibility of the municipality.

On Tuesday, the Crans-Montana municipality said that inspections of Le Constellation that included fire safety checks had been carried out in 2016, 2018 and 2019, and that modifications had been requested — but no issues with soundproofing measures had been raised.

The local council discovered after consulting documents after the fire that “periodic checks were not carried out between 2020 and 2025,” the head of Crans-Montana’s municipal government, Nicolas Féraud, told a news conference.

Nicolas Feraud, Mayor of Crans-Montana speaks during a press conference of the Crans-Montana Municipal Council following the fire that broke out at a New Year’s party, in Crans-Montana, Switzerland, Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2026. (Cyril Zingaro/Keystone via AP)

“We regret this bitterly,” he said, adding that it will be up to judicial authorities to determine what influence that may have had on the events that led to the fire.

Féraud said he couldn’t immediately explain why safety inspections hadn’t been conducted for such a long time.

Féraud said that, in September last year, an external expert had been asked to carry out a soundproofing analysis and had concluded that the bar complied with anti-noise rules, without making further remarks.

The severity of burns made it difficult to identify some victims of the fire that broke out at about 1.30am on New Year’s Day, requiring families to supply authorities with DNA samples.

Swiss Minister of Justice Beat Jans and State Councillor Mathias Reynard lay flowers at the sealed off Le Constellation bar in Crans-Montana, Swiss Alps, Switzerland, Saturday, Jan. 3, 2026, where a devastating fire left dead and injured during the New Year’s celebrations. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)

Investigators finished identifying the 40 dead on Sunday and said on Monday that they had identified all 116 people who were injured, from several countries.

On Monday, the Paris prosecutor’s office announced that it was opening a probe to assist the Swiss investigation and make it easier for families of French victims to communicate with Swiss investigators.

Nine French citizens were killed, the youngest 14, and 23 were injured.

Féraud said reports from the inspections that were carried out mentioned a maximum capacity of 100 people on the bar’s ground floor and 100 in its basement.

Police officers carry a coffin with the body of one of six Italians at the Military Airport in Sion, Swiss Alps, Switzerland, Monday, Jan. 5, 2026, following a devastating fire in a bar in Crans-Montana during the New Year’s celebrations (AP Photo/ Antonio Calanni)

It’s unclear how many people were in Le Constellation when the blaze broke out and investigators have said that may never be known.

The municipality said the bar’s owner obtained a permit to build a veranda in 2015 and also carried out interior work at the bar that did not require a permit.

It said it has now decided to ban the use of fireworks indoors and commission an external agency to carry out inspections of such establishments.

You Might Also Like

Popular children’s product sold nationally recalled due to asbestos fears
Spy chief Mike Burgess slammed by China’s foreign ministry for claims the country is conducting espionage in Australia
Former prosecutor Jack Smith tells Congress he had enough evidence to convict Donald Trump
PM Anthony Albanese confirms legislation changes in wake of Bondi attack will include new laws targeting the radicalisation of children
What happened, victims, suspect and what we know about horrific attack, explained
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Aussie mum and dad both diagnosed with brain cancer months apart
Next Article Donald Trump’s claims of running Venezuela leave questions despite congressional briefing

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.