Daily London
“I saw a new video of myself from the Bondi attack,” Ahmed said.
“Watching it took me back to that moment… I did not choose to be there.
“I chose courage. I chose humanity. I chose to save innocent lives.
“Saving lives changed me forever.”
The video was taken from an alternate angle, from across the car park, and shows Ahmed as he grabbed the firearm and pointed it at the shooter.
The tobacco shop owner said he still “carries the memories of the trauma” but was proud of his heroic act.
He was shot several times during the deadly attack on December 14 after wrestling a firearm from one of the shooters.
“I am grateful to be alive. I am proud of what I did,” he added.
“And I will always stand for compassion, courage, and doing what is right.”
Ahmed travelled to the US last week for more treatment, where he was greeted by the FBI and given a hero’s welcome.
He was seen with his arm in a sling after suffering five gunshot wounds during the terror attack.
While in New York City, Ahmed provided an update to his social media followers and revealed his health had declined.
He shared footage of himself lying in a hotel room bed while surrounded by cameras and visitors.
“I was scheduled to attend several meetings, but due to the sudden swelling in my hand and the severe pain, I had to cancel them all,” Ahmed said.
“When the pain returns after the medicine wears off, I feel discouraged.
“But when I remember that I did what I did to protect innocent people, and that so many people love me and are wishing for my recovery, I feel hope, optimism, joy, and strength rise inside me again.”
Ahmed was globally lauded as one of the several heroes who emerged from the Bondi massacre after the initial footage circulated online.

