By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: Novels pulled from shelves, school curriculum after child exploitation charges
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > Novels pulled from shelves, school curriculum after child exploitation charges
World Affairs

Novels pulled from shelves, school curriculum after child exploitation charges

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: January 14, 2026
Share

Daily London

Novels by award-winning author Craig Silvey have been pulled from shelves, as the public responds to child exploitation charges brought against him.

The 43-year-old author, who penned popular novels including Jasper Jones, Runt and Honeybee, was arrested on Monday following a raid of his Fremantle home.

Silvey has been charged with possessing and distributing child exploitation material and is accused of conversing online about his sexual interest in children.

Acclaimed Australian author Craig Silvey faces court on child exploitation offences (Instagram)

Prosecutors told the court Silvey had not allowed detectives to access his devices, and had so far refused to provide pin codes.

Silvey’s publisher Allen & Unwin today confirmed it would “pause promotional activity” of the author’s work while the legal process takes its course.

“We acknowledge this is an active police matter, and that Mr Silvey is entitled to procedural fairness and a presumption of innocence until the matter is dealt with by a court,” a spokesperson said.

“The nature of the allegations is deeply distressing. Our thoughts and sympathies are with all survivors of child exploitation and their families.”

The 43-year-old author, who penned popular novels including Jasper Jones, Runt and Honeybee, was arrested on Monday following a raid of his Fremantle home. (9News)

Local publisher Fremantle Press confirmed it too would stop promoting Silvey’s book Rhubarb while the court process takes place.

“The alleged offences are shocking and abhorrent, and we acknowledge survivors of child exploitation and their families,” the publisher said.

“We acknowledge the presumption of innocence and the importance of procedural fairness, and will make no further comment until legal proceedings are complete.”

Dymocks and other major Australian book retailers have also pulled Silvey’s work from the shop floor.

Dymocks and other major Australian book retailers have also pulled Silvey’s work from the shop floor. (Nine)

Australian online bookseller Booktopia told 9News it was “working closely with the publisher regarding their plans and will continue to assess the situation”.

Silvey’s books Jasper Jones and Rhubarb will also be axed as suggested English and Literature texts for Year 11s and 12s in WA next year.

WA’s Education Minister Sabine Winton said the nature of the allegations against Silvey was “deeply concerning”.

“I have asked the Department of Education to ensure that schools cease using texts by Craig Silvey for the 2026 school year while the allegations are under investigation,” Winton said.

Local publisher Fremantle Press confirmed it too would stop promoting Silvey’s book Rhubarb while the court process takes place. (9News)

“Some students may have studied these texts in previous years. The School Curriculum and Standards Authority will not penalise Year 12 students who may refer to these texts in the 2026 ATAR Literature course examination.

Premier Roger Cook backed his frontbencher’s decision to suspend the texts from schools despite the fact allegations brought against Silvey are yet to be proven in court.

“Through an abundance of caution, the minister has done the right thing, which is to suspend those texts,” Cook said.

“In the context of the 2026 education year I support that decision. I think it’s an appropriate one.”

Silvey was granted bail yesterday under strict conditions. (Nine)

Teaching resources relating to Silvey’s book Runt have been withdrawn from circulation in Victoria, the department of education confirmed.

“Craig Silvey’s texts have been removed from the Victorian Lesson Plans, are not on any VCE English, VCE English as an Additional Language or VCE Literature lists, and his books will not feature in the 2026 Premier’s Reading Challenge,” a Victorian Department of Education spokesperson said.

Fans of Silvey’s writing have reacted strongly following news of the allegations, taking to social media with videos of them disposing of his books after he faced court yesterday.

Silvey was granted bail yesterday under strict conditions.

He has yet to plead to the charges.

National Sexual Assault, Domestic Family Violence Counselling Service 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732).

You Might Also Like

US president sets 7500 annual limit for refugees entering US. It’ll be mostly white South Africans
Fire safety inspections lapsed for years at Swiss bar where 40 died in New Year’s blaze
CCTV shows shirtless man run from scene after police car rammed
Man hiding underwater arrested after fatal Queensland shooting
MP Colin Boyce to challenge David Littleproud after Coalition split
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Melbourne driver may have permanent vision loss after unprovoked car wash attack
Next Article Warning to Queenslanders as another cyclone forms

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.