By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: ‘Every chance’ for Victorians to see more devastating fires within weeks
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > ‘Every chance’ for Victorians to see more devastating fires within weeks
World Affairs

‘Every chance’ for Victorians to see more devastating fires within weeks

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: January 15, 2026
Share

Daily London

More than 700 structures, including 228 homes, have damaged in Victoria’s extreme bushfires, but authorities warn the peak bushfire season is still around the corner.

Emergency Management Commissioner Tim Wiebusch said those structures have either been destroyed or significantly damaged when last week’s fires took hold of more than 410,000 hectares of land and triggered a state of disaster declaration.

“Within that number, 228 homes are now destroyed,” he said at a press conference today.

More than 700 structures were affected in the fires. (Nine)

“Fifteen homes have been damaged, and we know there’s over 450 outbuildings that have also been part of those numbers.”

The Longwood fire claimed 142 homes, the Harcourt fire claimed 54, and the Walwa fire claimed nine.

Victoria Police are investigating the causes of major fires, including the Ravenswood South and Walwa blazes, while arson and explosives detectives probe the Longwood fire that claimed a man’s life.

A police spokesperson said these investigations are complex, and it is premature to provide any further updates.

“As a consequence of the extreme weather events last week Victoria experienced a large number of fires, some of which are still burning,” the spokesperson said. 

More than 220 homes were destroyed. (Nine)

“At this time, the overwhelming majority of fires are believed to be as a result of natural causes.”

The emergency bushfires of last week have eased, and now only 12 watch and act warnings remain in place for blazes around the state.

But County Fire Authority chief Jason Heffernan warned residents there could be similar devastating scenes in the coming weeks.

”My message to Victorians today is our peak fire danger is in February. Please don’t think that this event is it,” he said at a press conference today.

“There is every chance that we could see weather patterns come in the next couple of weeks.

Firefighters warn the peak bushfire season is around the corner. (Daniel Turner)

“It could see a return of very hot conditions, very strong northerly winds, and again threaten more communities across Victoria.”

The state and federal governments have today announced almost $82 million to restore and repair roads and public transport damaged in the fires, including barriers, signage and guardrails and cleaning up trees and debris.

Other state and federal support measures have exceeded $100 million.

“It’s so important that we continue to stand with Harcourt and other fire-affected communities and support them on the long recovery journey ahead,” Premier Jacinta Allan said. 

You Might Also Like

Hero police officer Amy Scott who stopped stabbing diagnosed with cancer
US Supreme Court considers overturning same-sex marriage ruling
Soccer coach, children missing after tour boat sinks in Indonesia
One state to swelter through the hottest day in over a year tomorrow
‘Slender Man’ stabber Morgan Geyser cuts off monitoring bracelet, vanishes from group home in US
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Thailand suffers another construction accident just a day after rail tragedy that killed 32
Next Article Iran slams airspace shut as protest death toll reportedly passes 2600

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.