By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: High-speed train derailment in Adamuz kills more than 20 people
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > High-speed train derailment in Adamuz kills more than 20 people
World Affairs

High-speed train derailment in Adamuz kills more than 20 people

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: January 19, 2026
Share

Daily London

A high-speed train travelling to the Spanish capital Madrid has derailed and collided with another train, killing at least 21 people.

A train travelling from Malaga in the country’s south to Madrid derailed in the town of Adamuz, causing it to go onto the other track, according to a statement from ADIF, Spain’s rail operator.

“Another train, travelling from Madrid to Huelva, was also travelling on the adjacent track and derailed as well,” the statement read.

It is not known why the train derailed. (Nine)

A Spanish interior ministry official has told media more than 20 people had been killed.

It is not known how many people on each train have died.

It is believed there were about 300 people on the train that derailed, and 200 on the one travelling from Madrid.

Emergency services initially stated 25 people had severe injuries, with the number of injured now rising to 73.

They have been taken to six different hospitals, according to the official.

Spanish Transport Minister Oscar Puente said all of the survivors had been removed from the site, but said there was a chance more victims could be found.

Puente said the causes of the crash were unknown. He called it “a truly strange” incident because it happened on a flat stretch of track that had been renovated in May. He also said the train that jumped the track was less than four years old.

According to Puente, the back part of the first train derailed and crashed into the head of the other train, knocking its first two carriages off the track and down a four-metre slope.

He said the worst damage was to the front section of the train that was coming from Madrid.

The regional Civil Protection chief, María Belén Moya Rojas, told Canal Sur that the accident happened in an area that is hard to reach.

Salvador Jiménez, a journalist for Spanish broadcaster RTVE was on board one of the derailed trains and told the network by phone that “there was a moment when it felt like an earthquake and the train had indeed derailed.”

He said passengers used emergency hammers to break the windows, and that some had walked away without serious injuries. Videos from people on site show some people crawling out of windows at some points to escape the wreckage with carriages leaning at an angle.

The incident occurred in the early evening and hundreds of survivors had to be rescued in the darkness.

The train that derailed was operated by Iryo, a private high-speed rail operator owned by Italy’s state-owned rail company, a Spanish regional airline, and the Spanish infrastructure investment fund.

The second train was operated by Renfe, Spain’s public train company.

– Reported with Associated Press.

You Might Also Like

Police describe bystanders jumping in to help family trapped in major crash
Elderly man found dead at Aldinga Caravan park, man charged with murder
Teen who climbed crane 20 storeys high arrested after eight-hour standoff
Bright Tank Vrewing Co West Side Hazy Pale recalled in WA due to having too much alcohol
Rabbi Eli Schlanger identified as one of victims
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Two shot in Huntfield Heights, gunman on the run
Next Article Man accused of making pipe bombs to remain behind bars

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.