By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: Iranian prosecutor denies Trump’s claim 800 prisoners were spared execution
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > Iranian prosecutor denies Trump’s claim 800 prisoners were spared execution
World Affairs

Iranian prosecutor denies Trump’s claim 800 prisoners were spared execution

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: January 23, 2026
Share

Daily London

Activists fear many more are dead. They struggle to confirm information as the most comprehensive internet blackout in Iran’s history has crossed the two-week mark.

Tensions remain high between the United States and Iran as an American aircraft carrier group moves closer to the Middle East, something Trump likened to an “armada” in comments to journalists late Thursday.

Iranian leaders have denied Donald Trump’s claims they have halted hundreds of executions. (AP)

Analysts say a military buildup could give Trump the option to carry out strikes, though so far he’s avoided that despite repeated warnings to Tehran. The mass execution of prisoners had been one of his red lines for military force — the other being the killing of peaceful demonstrators.

“While President Trump now appears to have backtracked, likely under pressure from regional leaders and cognisant that airstrikes alone would be insufficient to implode the regime, military assets continue to be moved into the region, indicating kinetic action may still happen,” New York-based think tank the Soufan Centre said in an analysis Friday.

Prosecutor denies Trump claim

“This claim is completely false; no such number exists, nor has the judiciary made any such decision,” Movahedi said.

His remarks suggested Iran’s Foreign Ministry, led by Abbas Araghchi, may have offered that figure to Trump. Araghchi has had a direct line to US envoy Steve Witkoff and conducted multiple rounds of negotiations over Iran’s nuclear programme with him.

Protesters dancing and cheering around a bonfire in Iran last week. (AP)

“We have a separation of powers, the responsibilities of each institution are clearly defined, and we do not, under any circumstances, take instructions from foreign powers,” Movahedi said.

A White House official disputed Movahedi’s assertion later Friday, and reasserted that planned executions were called off as a result of Trump’s warnings. The official, who was not authorised to comment publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity, underscored that Trump was watching the situation in Iran closely and “all options are on the table if the regime executes protesters.”

But the official did not provide any evidence or details backing Trump’s claim.

Iranian judiciary officials have called some of those being held “mohareb” — or “enemies of God.” That charge carries the death penalty. It had been used along with others to carry out mass executions in 1988 that reportedly killed at least 5000 people.

At a UN Human Rights Council special session on Iran held in Geneva Friday, Volker Türk, the UN’s high commissioner for human rights, expressed concern over “contradictory statements from the Iranian authorities about whether those detained in connection with the protests may be executed.”

He said Iran “remains among the top executioner states in the world,” with at least 1500 people reportedly executed last year — a 50 per cent increase over 2024.

The streets of Tehran have returned to some sense of normalcy after a violent crackdown on protesters. (Getty)

Meanwhile, Mohammad Javad Haji Ali Akbari, the Friday prayer leader in Tehran, mocked Trump as a “yellow-faced, yellow-haired and disgraced man” who is “like a dog that only barks.”

“That foolish man has resorted to threatening the nation, especially over what he said about Iran’s leader,” the cleric said in comments aired by Iranian state radio. “If any harm were to occur, all your interests and bases in the region would become clear and precise targets of Iranian forces.”

Iran’s foreign ministry lashed out at a European Parliament resolution adopted Thursday which slammed “repression and mass murders being perpetrated by the Iranian regime against protesters in Iran.” The resolution called for the release of those detained and urged the European Council to designate Iran’s paramilitary Revolutionary Guard, which was key in putting down the nationwide protests, as a terrorist organisation.

The foreign ministry expressed “its strong revulsion at the insulting assertions” of the resolution. In a statement issued Friday, it stressed that “any illegal or interventionist decision or position concerning the armed forces of the Islamic Republic of Iran and the country’s security defenders will be met with reciprocal action by Iran, and responsibility for the consequences will rest with those who initiate such actions.”

The latest death toll was given by the US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency, which reported that more than 4700 of the dead were demonstrators. It added that more than 27,600 people had been detained.

The group’s figures have been accurate in previous unrest and rely on a network of activists in Iran to verify deaths. That death toll exceeds that of any other round of protest or unrest there in decades, and recalls the chaos surrounding Iran’s 1979 Islamic Revolution.

Pro-regime Iranians turn out for a funeral procession for security forces killed by protesters. (Getty)

Iran’s government offered its first death toll Wednesday, saying 3,117 people were killed. It added that 2427 of the dead in the demonstrations that began December 28 were civilians and security forces, with the rest being “terrorists.” In the past, Iran’s theocracy has undercounted or not reported fatalities from unrest.

The Associated Press has been unable to independently assess the death toll, in part because of authorities cutting access to the internet and blocking international calls into the country.

The American military meanwhile has moved more military assets toward the Mideast, including the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln and associated warships travelling with it from the South China Sea.

A US Navy official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss military movements, said Thursday the Lincoln strike group is in the Indian Ocean.

Trump said aboard Air Force One that the US is moving the ships toward Iran “just in case” he wants to take action.

“We have a massive fleet heading in that direction and maybe we won’t have to use it,” Trump said.

Trump also mentioned the multiple rounds of talks American officials had with Iran over its nuclear programme prior to Israel launching a 12-day war against the Islamic Republic in June, which saw US warplanes bomb Iranian nuclear sites. He threatened Iran with military action that would make earlier US strikes against its uranium enrichment sites “look like peanuts.”

“They should have made a deal before we hit them,” Trump said.

The UK Defence Ministry separately said its joint Eurofighter Typhoon fighter jet squadron with Qatar, 12 Squadron, “deployed to the (Persian) Gulf for defensive purposes noting regional tensions.”

You Might Also Like

Three Defence agencies scrapped as government announces major overhaul
More photos from estate released by House Democrats as deadline to release DOJ files looms
Popular Blue Mountains lookout Lincoln’s Rock closed due to safety concerns
World parties at New Year’s Eve celebrations to bring an end to 2025
Popular Sydney beach closed over second shark sighting
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Communities on high alert after disturbing letter sent to Sydney mosque
Next Article Police expand search area as manhunt for alleged gunman enters third day

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.