By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: Grok sexual deepfakes prompt EU investigation
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > Grok sexual deepfakes prompt EU investigation
World Affairs

Grok sexual deepfakes prompt EU investigation

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: January 26, 2026
Share

Daily London

Grok Imagine prompted a public backlash in multiple countries, including Australia, when it began allowing sexualised images of women and children to be generated without their consent.
The European Commission today launched a formal investigation against X, formerly known as Twitter, to assess whether it properly handled the risks surrounding the Grok rollout.
Elon Musk owns X and Grok. (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images via CNN Newsource)

That included the risks of disseminating illegal content, such as manipulated sexually explicit images, including what may be child sexual abuse material.

The commission said the risks “seem to have materialised, exposing citizens in the EU to serious harm”.

“Sexual deepfakes of women and children are a violent, unacceptable form of degradation,” Executive Vice-President for Tech Sovereignty, Security and Democracy Henna Virkkunen said.

“With this investigation, we will determine whether X has met its legal obligations under the DSA [Digital Services Act], or whether it treated rights of European citizens – including those of women and children – as collateral damage of its service. “

“eSafety remains concerned about the use of the generative AI system Grok on X to generate content that may sexualise or exploit people, particularly children,” it said, on January 9.

“While the number of reports eSafety has received remains small, eSafety has seen a recent increase from almost none to several reports over the past couple of weeks relating to the use of Grok to generate sexualised or exploitative imagery. 

Grok Imagine’s dashboard. (Grok)

“eSafety will use its powers, including removal notices, where appropriate and where material meets the relevant thresholds defined in the Online Safety Act.”

The commission said it had already taken enforcement action in 2025 over some “nudify” services used to create AI child sexual exploitation material.

The eSafety Commission has not confirmed whether it has received a response from X. 

About a week later, X owner Musk said he was aware of “literally zero” naked underage images generated by Grok.

“Obviously, Grok does not spontaneously generate images, it does so only according to user requests,” he said, in a post on X.

“When asked to generate images, it will refuse to produce anything illegal, as the operating principle for Grok is to obey the laws of any given country or state.

“There may be times when adversarial hacking of Grok prompts does something unexpected. If that happens, we fix the bug immediately.”

In an X statement on January 14, a spokeswoman said the company remained “committed to making X a safe platform for everyone” and that it had “zero tolerance” for child sexual exploitation, nonconsensual nudity, and unwanted sexual content.

It also said it would stop allowing users to depict people in “bikinis, underwear or other revealing attire” but only in places where it’s illegal.

Tech website The Verge has since found it remains “extremely easy to undress women and edit them into sexualised poses using the X and Grok mobile apps or websites”.

The European Commission said its investigation could include sending more requests for information to X, conducting interviews or inspections and imposing interim measures.

You Might Also Like

The celebrities beginning to speak out after deadly shootings in ICE operations in Minneapolis including Pedro Pascal and Billie Eilish
Melburnians warned to brace for disruptions as police prepare for protest clash
Night in custody for NRL legend over bizarre street act
Father jailed for ‘profoundly stupid’ fatal gun misfire
What emails show about Trump-Epstein link
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article New footage emerges of fatal Minneapolis shooting by ICE agents
Next Article Hero Ahmed al Ahmed handed key to City of Canterbury Bankstown in Sydney

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.