By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: ICE agents involved in protester’s killing placed on leave
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > ICE agents involved in protester’s killing placed on leave
World Affairs

ICE agents involved in protester’s killing placed on leave

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: January 28, 2026
Share

Daily London

Two US immigration officers involved in the deadly shooting of a protester in the country’s Midwest have been placed on leave, officials say.

Alex Pretti, an ICU nurse, was shot and killed in Minneapolis, Minnesota, on Sunday morning (AEDT) when he approached federal officers who were allegedly targeting a woman on a street.

His death, which followed the fatal shooting of another female demonstrator by an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agent earlier this month, triggered outrage across the US.

This undated photo provided by Michael Pretti shows Alex J. Pretti, the man who was shot by a federal officer in Minneapolis. (Michael Pretti via AP) (AP)
Vietnam war veteran Donnie McMillan places a sign that says “In remembrance of my angel” at a memorial to Alex Pretti. (AP)

A spokesperson for the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agency on Wednesday (Thursday AEDT) told 9news.com.au that agents involved in the shooting had been placed on administrative leave.

“The two officers involved are on administrative leave and have been since Saturday,” they said in a statement.

“This is standard protocol.”

Meanwhile, new details about the fatal shooting have been received by US legislators.

Two federal officers fired shots during the encounter that killed Pretti over the weekend in Minneapolis, a CBP official told the US Congress in a notice sent on Tuesday.

A spokesperson for the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agency on Wednesday (Thursday AEDT) told 9news.com.au that agents involved in the shooting had been placed on administrative leave. (Reuters)
Demonstrators hold signs during a rally against federal immigration enforcement at Federal Courthouse Plaza on Tuesday, January 27, 2026, in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Adam Gray) (AP)

Officers tried to take Pretti into custody and he resisted, leading to a struggle, according to a notification to Congress obtained by The Associated Press.

During the struggle, a Border Patrol agent yelled, “He’s got a gun!” multiple times, the official said.

A Border Patrol officer and a CBP officer each fired Glock pistols, the notice said.

Investigators from CBP’s Office of Professional Responsibility conducted the analysis based on a review of body-worn camera footage and agency documentation, the notice said. The law requires the agency to inform relevant congressional committees about deaths in CBP custody within 72 hours.

Separately, a man was arrested after he sprayed an unknown liquid at US Congresswoman Ilhan Omar while she was speaking at a town hall meeting in Minneapolis.

The Democrat politician had just called for the abolishment of Immigration and Customs Enforcement and for Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem to resign when she was sprayed.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

You Might Also Like

Riot police swarm Melbourne beach after youths storm supermarket, throw items at officers
Single mum and cattle farmer survives divorce, drought and devastating diagnosis
Radio icon dies aged 90
Parents of teens killed by methanol poisoning leading schoolies warning
Labor pledges $37 million for Working with Children Check reform
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Trump’s top diplomat says technical talks with Denmark, Greenland over Arctic security have started
Next Article Evacuees told ‘don’t go home’ as bushfire warnings downgraded

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.