By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: Accused Ripponlea synagogue arsonist released back into the community on bail
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > Accused Ripponlea synagogue arsonist released back into the community on bail
World Affairs

Accused Ripponlea synagogue arsonist released back into the community on bail

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: November 14, 2025
Share

Daily London

Giovanni Laulu, 21, watched via video link from Barwon Prison as magistrate Leon Fluxman handed down his decision in Melbourne on Friday afternoon.

It’s alleged Laulu and two others used 100 litres of fuel to set fire to the Adass Israel Synagogue in Melbourne’s south-east about 4.15am on December 6, 2024.

It’s alleged Laulu and two others used 100 litres of fuel to set fire to the Adass Israel Synagogue in Melbourne’s south-east about 4.15am on December 6, 2024. (Nine)

The trio allegedly drove to the Ripponlea site in a stolen Volkswagen then smashed their way in using an axe before setting the place of worship alight.

The blaze, which caused more than $20 million in damage, was being investigated as a terrorist attack, the court was told.

Prosecutor Diana Karamicov argued Laulu should be refused bail because he was an unacceptable risk of endangering the community and committing further offences.

She pointed to his previous failures to comply with bail and court orders, and noted his “terrible” criminal history which included violent assaults, affrays and armed robberies.

Karamicov argued the Crown’s case against Laulu was strong and if convicted of the arson charge, he was facing up to 15 years behind bars.

Laulu’s barrister, Dermot Dann KC, argued the strength of the case was not relevant as Laulu did not need to prove exceptional or compelling reasons to be released.

The 21-year-old was arrested at his Werribee home earlier this year. (Nine)

Dann told the court Laulu had repeatedly denied the offending and, given his age, the presumption of innocence and his isolation in custody, he should be released.

The barrister argued strict bail conditions including a curfew and location exclusion zones could alleviate any of the court’s concerns.

Laulu’s mother was also putting forward a $20,000 surety for her son and was willing to have him back home with her if he was released, Dann noted.

In handing down his decision, Fluxman accepted Laulu was a risk to the community but found strict bail conditions could reduce that risk to an acceptable level.

Fluxman accepted his decision was “line-ball” and would receive consternation from the Jewish congregation, who were still traumatised from the fire.

But he noted Laulu was a young man who was presumed to be innocent and it was important to promote his rehabilitation while also curtailing his liberty.

The magistrate also emphasised Laulu had not been charged with terror offences, and there was no evidence he was an anti-Semite or had affiliations with terrorist groups.

Laulu will be subjected to 22 bail conditions, including a 9pm to 6am curfew and a ban on entering Ripponlea or other synagogues.

He will have to return to Melbourne Magistrates Court later in November for a bail review hearing.

You Might Also Like

Councils given more powers to crack down on illegal hate-preaching venues
The most power hungry appliances in your house, and how you can make better use of them
Man allegedly stabbed with machete during violent brawl in Melbourne’s north
Trump says he doesn’t want Somalis in the US
King Charles III leads family to church ahead of annual Christmas Day broadcast
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Motorbike collides with four-year-old girl in Sydney’s west
Next Article Good Samaritan couple’s car stolen by man they stopped to help from car crash

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.