By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: Billions thrown at major plan to prevent debris balls from washing up on beaches
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > Billions thrown at major plan to prevent debris balls from washing up on beaches
World Affairs

Billions thrown at major plan to prevent debris balls from washing up on beaches

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: January 16, 2026
Share

Daily London

Sydney’s wastewater system will be upgraded under a $3 billion plan following an investigation into debris balls that washed up at its most iconic beaches. 

The site is one of the largest wastewater systems in the country, servicing almost two million people in the city’s south-west, including Fairfield, Campbelltown and Liverpool.

Mysterious balls began washing up on beaches from late 2024. (Central Coast Council )
Water Minister Rose Jackson said “no one” wants to see debris balls wash up on the coastline as she announced the state would invest $3 billion over 10 years to reduce the amount of wastewater that needs to be discharged through the deep ocean outfall in Malabar.

It is hoped this would prevent the debris balls from forming again, but also keep up with the growing population in the city’s south-west.

Sydney Water will work with Malabar System Alliance to deliver major upgrades to the Glenfield and Liverpool facilities.

The staged upgrades will treat key facilities in the system, including the water resource facilities at Glenfield, Liverpool and Fairfield.

For the first stage, Sydney Water will work with Malabar System Alliance to deliver major upgrades to the Glenfield and Liverpool facilities.

Samples of the balls were taken for testing. (Nine)

Jackson said the staged upgrades mean that the projects will be funded over time, so Sydneysiders are not met with a “sudden bill shock”. 

In the meantime, Sydney Water is continuing to work with the NSW Environment Protection Authority on preventing more debris ball incidents.

The agency has also increased cleaning and inspections and is expanding an education campaign on fats, oils and grease to reduce the material from entering the wastewater network. 

”We understand the seriousness of recent debris ball incidents and the need to ensure our network is equipped for Sydney’s growing population,” Sydney Water chief executive Darren Cleary said.

“This program of works is a clear demonstration of our commitment to building a more resilient system over the coming decade and to protecting our beaches, which are so important to Sydney’s way of life.”

Crews clean up mysterious debris balls from Coogee Beach. (Nine)

The mysterious balls first appeared ashore in Coogee, in Sydney’s eastern suburbs, in October 2024, before an onslaught of the greasy debris turned up along the coastline.

Beaches had to be closed as crews collected samples for testing and cleaned up the shore. 

Several more incidents of balls washing up on beaches continued until early last year. 

Sample testing and investigations found debris was made up of fats, oils and greases with the sewage treatment network as the likely source.

You Might Also Like

Missing priest’s body found wrapped in plastic in Mexico
13 remain in hospital one week after Bondi Beach massacre
Brisbane and Gold Coast on high alert after cases detected at Jelly Roll concert, Sea World
Zelenskyy’s chief of staff resigns after anti-corruption investigators search home
New poll has good news for Pauline Hanson
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Police officer Carl Jones faces court accused of raping woman while off-duty
Next Article Iconic Australian retailer shutting down

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.