By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: Concerns as police granted new weapon search powers in Melbourne CBD
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > Concerns as police granted new weapon search powers in Melbourne CBD
World Affairs

Concerns as police granted new weapon search powers in Melbourne CBD

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: November 26, 2025
Share

Daily London

Victorian civil liberty advocates are outraged at a police declaration that will allow officers to conduct weapons searches throughout Melbourne’s CBD without a warrant for the next six months.

From this Sunday November 30 until May 29 next year, police officers and PSOs patrolling Melbourne’s CBD and surrounding suburbs will be permitted to conduct pat-down searches and look through a person’s belongings, including cars, in search of weapons.

It is the longest period the special powers have been enabled, following recent changes to the Control of Weapons Act.

Victoria Police have released a map of the designated search area, which comes into effect on Sunday November 30. (Victoria Police)

The designated area encompasses Melbourne’s CBD as well as parts of Docklands, South Melbourne, East Melbourne, Richmond and Carlton Gardens.

Designated search zones include roads, footpaths, railway stations, underpasses and other public transport hubs.

Victoria Police insisted the decision to impose a designated search area was evidence-based.

“To declare a designated area, there must be either an extensive history of weapon-related offending in the area, or police intelligence that indicates this measure will prevent likely offending,” a Victoria Police spokesperson said.

”Weapons search operations in the CBD earlier this year have led to the seizure of a significant number of edged weapons – preventing community harm.”

However, Liberty Victoria has slammed the operation as a “fundamental erosion of human rights” and called on chief commissioner Mike Bush to abandon the plans.

Police will be able to search anyone in public in Melbourne’s CBD for the next six months. (Nine)

“The use of the ‘designated area’ powers will allow police to circumvent the usual legal safeguards against unwarranted police intrusion,” Liberty Victoria president Gemma Cafarella said.

“Normally, police require reasonable grounds to suspect that a person is carrying something illegal or prohibited before they can be searched.”

The civil liberties group pointed to data from the Racial Profiling Data Monitoring Project, which found police were far more likely to target Aboriginal and First Nations communities.

“We also know that the powers will disproportionately be used against First Nations people and other people of colour,” Cafarella said.

“We know there are real issues with racial profiling when it comes to searching people.”

Victoria Police said it has “zero tolerance” towards racial profiling.

“Our officers are well trained to police in response to a person’s behaviour, not their background,” a Victoria Police spokesperson said.

“If you aren’t carrying a weapon, you don’t have anything to worry about.”

Members of the public who are searched may be asked to remove outer layers of clothing, including headwear, scarves, jackets or face coverings.

An electronic wand may be used during the search, police said.

You Might Also Like

The celebrities beginning to speak out after deadly shootings in ICE operations in Minneapolis including Pedro Pascal and Billie Eilish
Donald Trump warns Iran ‘time is running out’ for nuclear deal as Iranian rial plummets again
Are you eligible for Meta’s $50 million compensation fund?
Residents in fear after teenagers invited to planned mass bike rideout in Sydney
Senate inquiry scathing of federal, state governments’ response to South Australian toxic algal bloom
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Severe weather in Sydney to bring damaging winds and large hail
Next Article Treasurer Jim Chalmers leaves door open to extension of cost-of-living relief

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.