By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: Decade in prison for ‘calculated’ scooter rider killer Shaun Baensch
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > Decade in prison for ‘calculated’ scooter rider killer Shaun Baensch
World Affairs

Decade in prison for ‘calculated’ scooter rider killer Shaun Baensch

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: January 30, 2026
Share

Daily London

A driver who mowed down a scooter rider believing he had an affair with his girlfriend and then deliberately concealed his involvement in the crime has been jailed.

Shaun Baensch’s girlfriend told him “don’t be an idiot, just keep driving” as he followed an e-scooter rider on his way home.

Shaun Baensch arrives at the Supreme Court of Victoria in Melbourne. (AAP)

After Baensch’s release from prison for an armed robbery, he heard rumours about Bryce Trower and his girlfriend being in a relationship.

Filled with jealous rage, on December 11, 2023, he drove into Trower, who flew off his Segway Ninebot e-scooter and hit the ute’s windscreen.

Trower was thrown seven metres into the air before landing on the road, and Baensch drove off leaving the 31-year-old for dead.

Nearby residents tried to save Trower, but he died at the scene, on Forster Street in the Geelong suburb of Norlane.

Baensch avoided apprehension for the killing for several months after taking what a judge today labelled as “calculated steps” to conceal his involvement.

This included removing parts of the ute the day after and then getting a friend to store the vehicle at their home.

He also lied to police, claiming Trower had fallen in front of his vehicle, and at one point joked to an associate about having “done a Bryce” when he fell off a scooter.

Bryce Trower was riding along Foster Road in Norlane when he was hit by a black 2007 Holden Rodeo utility about 6.40pm on December 11. (Victoria Police)

“All this behaviour post the offence must be seen as having been motivated by self-preservation,” Supreme Court Justice Peter Kidd told Baensch as he sentenced him.

“It showed complete disregard for Mr Trower’s welfare.”

Baensch, who last year pleaded guilty to manslaughter and failure to stop over the fatal hit-and-run, was arrested over Trower’s death in May 2024.

He claimed he had intended to knock Trower off the scooter, but not kill him, after being “driven crazy” by rumours about him and his girlfriend.

“I was just trying to nudge him, and I didn’t go to plan,” he told police.

Police previously released CCTV footage of the ute as part of a plea for information. (Victoria Police)

Justice Kidd found Baensch’s manslaughter was a very serious example of the offence as it was not an accident and he had deliberately hit Trower.

“Collisions involving motor vehicles and pedestrians, or riders, are often referred to as accidents, the collision with Mr Trower was no accident,” he said.

“Your unlawful act, deliberately striking Mr Trower with your motor vehicle, was an extremely dangerous act.”

He sentenced Baensch to a maximum of 10 years and six months in prison, and ordered he spend seven years behind bars before he will be eligible for parole.

Baensch has already served one year and eight months of his sentence.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

You Might Also Like

Education minister Jason Clare calls out prestigious school over leaked document about students
Parents of baby who died at maternity hospital demand answers
Medieval tower in Rome partially collapses during renovations, injuring worker
Bondi hero Ahmed Al Ahmed reveals ‘trauma’ after seeing new footage of confrontation with gunman
Immigration, police check: Andy wanted to call Australia home. Instead he was accused of crimes he ‘couldn’t have’ committed
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Queen Mary and King Frederik to visit Australia in March
Next Article New vision shows students’ fear as shots fired after stolen car backs into school bus

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.