By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: Deputy opposition leader Sam Groth announces retirement
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > Deputy opposition leader Sam Groth announces retirement
World Affairs

Deputy opposition leader Sam Groth announces retirement

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: January 5, 2026
Share

Daily London

Deputy Victorian Liberal Leader Sam Groth has announced he will retire from politics and will not contest the 2026 election.

The former tennis pro cited “public pressure” placed on his family and challenges within the Liberal Party for his decision to step away from parliament.

“After many conversations with my wife and with a great deal of personal thought, I have informed the Leader of the Opposition that I have decided that I cannot continue in Parliament beyond the 2026 election,” Groth said in a statement.

The former tennis pro cited “public pressure” placed on his family and challenges within the Liberal Party for his decision to step away from parliament (Nine)

“The public pressure placed on my family in recent months has been significant, and realising that some of it came from within my own party has been difficult to ignore.

“Coming to that realisation has forced some very personal reflection.”

Groth has served as the MP for Nepean, on the Mornington Peninsula, since 2022, when he claimed election victory with a two-party swing of 7.1 per cent in his favour.

He was selected unopposed as Deputy Leader in December 2024, under the new leadership of Brad Battin. He is now serving the current leader of the Victorian Liberal Party, Jess Wilson.

“I entered public life to serve my community, to represent the Mornington Peninsula, and to stand up for what I believe is in the best interests of Victorians,” Mr Groth said.

“I have always tried to approach this job with honesty, hard work and a clear focus on the people who put their trust in me.

Brittany and Sam Groth. (Nine)

“But when you find yourself having to fight against your own team, it becomes impossible to put those interests first.

“That is not the standard I came into public life to accept, and it is not the kind of politics Victorians deserve.”

The Groth family embarked on a mammoth legal battle in July last year, following reporting by one of Australia’s largest newspapers around his relationship with wife Brittany.

A private settlement was reached between the two parties in November last year.

Groth described his time in public life as “an extremely challenging period for my family”.

“We took on this role for the right reasons, to contribute to our community and try to make a positive difference,” Groth said.

“That purpose has never changed, but the environment around it has.”

He entered the professional tennis circuit in 2006 and peaked at World No. 53 in the Men’s Singles in 2015.

Groth reached a career high of World No. 24 in doubles, making the semi-finals of the 2014 French Open, as well as the semi-finals of the mixed doubles at the 2017 Australian Open alongside fellow Aussie Sam Stosur.

He holds the world record for the fastest serve, hitting 263 km/h at the ATP Challenger in Busan in 2012.

The father of two announced his retirement from professional tennis after the 2018 Australian Open.

You Might Also Like

How much video gaming is too much? Study pinpoints health limit
Sea World crash survivors prepare for injury lawsuits
Australia’s social media ban started today. Teens say it’s already failing
Man accused of making pipe bombs to remain behind bars
Youngest victim Matilda to be farewelled today; Alleged gunman charged with 15 counts of murder; Investigation expands to India
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article NSW Health issues measles warning after positive case took Qantas flight from Adelaide-Sydney
Next Article Design team behind Brisbane’s new Olympic stadium revealed

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.