By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: Diabetic driver in bid to dodge five-death inquest
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > Diabetic driver in bid to dodge five-death inquest
World Affairs

Diabetic driver in bid to dodge five-death inquest

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: December 5, 2025
Share

Daily London

A driver with diabetes who ploughed into and killed five people outside a pub will object to giving evidence after being called as a witness at an inquest.

William Swale was initially charged with 14 offences, including five counts of culpable driving causing death, over the November 2023 crash in Daylesford, central Victoria.

However, all of the offences were dismissed last year after a magistrate found Swale’s actions were involuntary and the prosecution’s case was weak.

William Swale was initially charged with 14 offences, including five counts of culpable driving causing death, over the November 2023 crash in Daylesford, central Victoria. (Justin McManus)

Swale, a type-1 diabetic, suffered a severe hypoglycaemic episode and crashed into two families dining out the front of the Royal Daylesford Hotel.

His blood sugar levels plummeted and he passed out while behind the wheel of his BMW, mounting a kerb and driving into patrons seated in the beer garden.

Pratibha Sharma, 44, her daughter Anvi, 9, and partner Jatin Kumar, 30, and their friend Vivek Bhatia, 38, and his son Vihaan, 11, were all killed, while six others were injured.

The inquest into their deaths has been set down for March, with Swale one of dozens of witnesses expected to be called to give evidence to the Coroners Court.

Swale, 68, had been contacted by the coroner to give a statement but a hearing in August was told he had exercised his legal right not to do so.

Counsel assisting Rishi Nathwani KC told a hearing today that Swale had filed an application to object to giving evidence at the inquest next year.

He said a hearing on Swale’s section 57 objection, where a witness objects to giving evidence on grounds it may be self-incriminating, will take place on December 16.

Pratibha Sharma, 44, her daughter Anvi, 9, and partner Jatin Kumar, 30, and their friend Vivek Bhatia, 38, and his son Vihaan, 11, were all killed, while six others were injured. (Joe Armao/The Age)

Swale’s lawyer Martin Amad asked if his client would have to attend court in person for his objection hearing.

“He has been summoned to appear on the 16th of December, he will be represented when submissions are made pursuant to section 57 of the act, just wondering if he is required to attend in person?” he asked the court.

“He may or may not wish to attend, I am just seeking some clarification.”

Nathwani said his “clear understanding” was Swale would be required to attend under the act, for the court to take his objection.

He said the inquest will examine the circumstances leading up to and after the crash, including Swale’s diabetes management, the food and drink he consumed, his insulin administration, blood glucose readings and alarms from his monitoring device.

“And to consider Mr Swale’s conduct on the 5th of November and whether it was consistent with safe driving practices,” he said.

The inquest will also probe safe driving recommendations, guidelines, education and public awareness for diabetic drivers, as well as outdoor dining and road safety.

You Might Also Like

Riahne Louie “Chuckie” Vasquez died in sandbar collapse
US company buys Queensland’s Hamilton Island
Wrong winner announced for South Australian Senior of the Year award
Australia records highest number of Indigenous deaths in custody since 1979
Man who stabbed 11-year-old Australian girl on holiday sentenced
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Pentagon confirms it’s moving ahead with AUKUS nuclear submarine deal
Next Article Children suffer chemical burns after being exposed to a hazardous substance on a slide in their Christchurch daycare

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.