By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: Driver acquitted of murder over lengthy road-rage chase
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > Driver acquitted of murder over lengthy road-rage chase
World Affairs

Driver acquitted of murder over lengthy road-rage chase

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: November 10, 2025
Share

Daily London

A driver has been acquitted of murder after a hammer-wielding, near-naked man was fatally struck following a road rage-inspired car chase.

Umar Hussein Alkhalifa Al Enizi, 24, was accused of swerving “violently” and hitting Troy Edward Vandenberg following a traffic dispute south of Brisbane in September 2021.

Vandenberg, 25, was standing in his underwear on a Browns Plains roadway about to throw a hammer at Al Enizi’s car when he was struck and flung into the air, the court heard.

Umar Hussein Alkhalifa Al Enizi was found not guilty of murder and a lesser charge of manslaughter. (AAP)

The driver was today found not guilty of murder and a lesser charge of manslaughter in Brisbane Supreme Court after arguing he had acted in “instinctive” self-defence.

Al Enizi blinked back tears when the verdicts were revealed by the jury, which began deliberating on Friday, following a four-day trial before Acting Justice Peter Applegarth.

Members of Vandenberg’s family wept as the verdicts were read out and quickly left the court.

The two men were strangers who became involved in an ongoing traffic incident starting at about 2.30pm on September 17, 2021, the court heard.

Witnesses described how Vandenberg, wearing only underwear, got out of his car at traffic lights and hit Al Enizi’s vehicle, accusing him of cutting him off.

The pair were also seen throwing punches at each other before driving off to their respective homes.

The incident escalated as the men lived in neighbouring suburbs, with each becoming convinced they were being followed by the other.

When they reached another set of traffic lights at Vandenberg’s suburb of Browns Plains, dashcam footage showed him getting out of his vehicle and kicking Al Enizi’s car.

Vandenberg then pulled over outside his home and retrieved a hammer from his vehicle, the court heard.

As Al Enizi accelerated towards him, Vandenberg leapt out into the road to hurl the hammer at the oncoming vehicle.

Al Enizi then swerved suddenly across two lanes, striking Vandenberg with enough force to hurl him into the air, the court heard.

Vandenberg later died from his injuries.

Defence barrister Saul Holt argued Al Enizi acted in self-defence during the altercation, which began 30 minutes earlier outside the Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane.

Holt told the jury “every time Mr Al Enizi had stopped his car he had been attacked”.

“The response was instinctive, it was reflexive and ultimately it was defensive. It certainly wasn’t murder or manslaughter,” he said.

Crown prosecutor Samantha O’Rourke had argued Al Enizi deliberately struck Vandenberg, intending to do at least grievous bodily harm, and there was no lawful reason for doing so.

Al Enizi left court without speaking to media, as did Vandenberg’s family and supporters.

You Might Also Like

Western Australia’s Kimberley coast braces for category four weather system
Hero Uber driver stops job to race into burning house
Surfer bitten on Mid North Coast in fourth incident in less than 48 hours
He’s CEO of a business that made $17.3 billion last year, but Doug doesn’t ‘get to do much work’
State government’s ankle monitor plan met with criticism
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Thousands of Cudlee Creek bushfire victims seeking $200 million in major class action
Next Article Trump pardons Rudy Giuliani, others involved in efforts to overturn 2020 election

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.