By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: Holidaymakers left in limbo as flash flood clean up begins
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > Holidaymakers left in limbo as flash flood clean up begins
World Affairs

Holidaymakers left in limbo as flash flood clean up begins

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: January 16, 2026
Share

Daily London

Exclusive: Holidaymakers and locals in Wye River are beginning a massive clean-up after record rainfall triggered severe flash flooding.

Almost 180mm of rain fell into catchments at Mt Cowley, above Lorne, within a six-hour span, leaving caravan parks in ruin and dozens of vehicles destroyed.

Families were forced to flee to higher ground with just the clothes on their backs, with many claiming flood alerts only came through once towns had already been engulfed.

Charlotte Armstrong and her family were forced to flee the Cumberland River Holiday Park as the river broke its banks following heavy rainfall yesterday. (Supplied/Charlotte Armstrong)
Charlotte believes she saw her car on the beach, destroyed and covered in debris, while evacuating to Lorne last night. (Supplied/Charlotte Armstrong)

“By the time I got a notification that there was a flood happening… the flood had already happened,” Wye River General Store and Cafe manager Shaun McKinlay said.

Charlotte Armstrong and her family were staying in a camper trailer one site above the Cumberland River when the river surged around 12.30pm.

“I looked at the river, we were just getting lunch out and I said, ‘Oh, the river is flowing pretty fast’, and probably like three minutes later it had risen up to our site,” Armstrong said.

“We knew there was rain coming, so we tightened our annexes and prepared for that, but nothing like what happened. It happened just so fast.

“We were just trying to take all the stuff from the riverside, but it was so strong and so fast, there were huge trees coming down the river.”

The Armstrong family doesn’t know whether their camper trailer and car survived the flash flooding emergency. (Supplied/Charlotte Armstrong)

Holidaymakers have been told they can’t return to salvage their belongings for at least another 48 hours, leaving many unsure about the extent of the damage.

“With the heavy rain that came in, we have no idea what’s left,” she said.

Armstrong believes her Subaru Forester was destroyed in the flood, but the family still doesn’t know what happened to their camper trailer or the family car.

“We’ve been going there for over 20 years, we’ve never seen anything like it. There’s been flooding but yeah, nothing like that,” she said.

Another Cumberland River Holiday Park camper, whose caravan and car were swept up in the rapids, said the water reached waist height within 10 minutes of the deluge.

Strong rapids swept dozens of cars and caravans out to sea. (Supplied)

“We were up the other end of the caravan park, further away from the entrance, so we were some of the first people to get affected,” the teenager, who did not want to be identified, said.

“I managed to get most of the stuff out of the caravan… everything that was valuable.

“They’re still plenty of bedding and like cutlery and stuff in there but we got all electronics and stuff out.”

The caravan still has’t been recovered, he said.

“It’ll be in the ocean somewhere, probably, or on the beach somewhere.

“It might be jammed onto the bridge with the other cars. We don’t know.”

Campers who were fast enough fled to a nearby hill behind the park, while others had to wade through waters and jump on top of roofs to find safety.

Campers salvage their belongings from a car that washed up on the beach after yesterday’s flood. (Nine)

“Lots of people you know couldn’t make it there in time, so they just got on top of like cabins or on top of the reception office,” the man said.

“A friend of mine helped some older folks get onto the top of the reception.”

A man in his 60s was later winched from the reception roof due to an existing injury that prevented him from getting down.

The 19-year-old’s family, who have been holidaying at Cumberland River Holiday Park for 16 years, had evacuated the area just last week as bushfires in the nearby Otways raged through bushland.

“I went into autopilot, honestly. I don’t think I felt any fear until afterwards and then I thought it was just like a profound sense of exhaustion,” he said.

“I think the main thing that’s shaken us up is like, if it happened at night, there would be almost certainly fatalities, like it was so quick.”

The threat of the flooding has now reduced, but people in the area are being urged to look out for hazards including debris, fallen trees, powerlines and damaged roads.

Traffic management points remain in place on the Great Ocean Road between Skenes Creek to Hird Street in Lorne, according to the State Emergency Service.

You Might Also Like

TGA issues fake Botox warning over ‘significant’ health risks
Protests in Iran reach the two-week mark
Knox Grammar School teacher William Gulson guilty of child procurement
Greek tourist Ioannis Vidiniotis may never walk again after accident in Perth
Venezuela swears in new leader
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Iconic Australian retailer shutting down
Next Article Why the flash floods that smashed Victoria are so difficult to predict

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.