By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: Husband faces court 34 years after murder of Victorian mum Melinda Freeman
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > Husband faces court 34 years after murder of Victorian mum Melinda Freeman
World Affairs

Husband faces court 34 years after murder of Victorian mum Melinda Freeman

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: November 5, 2025
Share

Daily London

A man accused of murdering his wife more than three decades ago has faced court for the first time.

Craig Freeman, 63, appeared in Melbourne Magistrates Court via video link on Wednesday after he was charged over Melinda Freeman’s death.

Mrs Freeman was 26 when she was found dead in her Whittlesea home, in Melbourne’s outer north, on October 4, 1991.

Melinda Freeman was found dead inside her Whittlesea home in 1991. (Victoria Police)

Prosecutors did not outline the allegations against Freeman during his brief court appearance.

The 63-year-old only spoke to confirm he could hear the magistrate from the police cells.

His lawyer Paul Galbally told the court it was his client’s first time in custody and he would need to see a nurse because he previously suffered a stroke.

Freeman did not apply for bail and was remanded in custody ahead of his next court hearing in March.

Police previously said Mrs Freeman and her husband spent the day of her alleged murder with immediate family to celebrate her sister’s return from overseas.

In 2018, police received an anonymous tip-off about Melissa Freeman’s death. (Supplied)

The couple returned to their home on Yea Road about 4pm.

Later, Freeman left the house and took their nine-month-old son to a card game to give his wife time to study for her beauty course.

When they returned at 11.30pm, the house looked like it had been ransacked and the front door was open.

Freeman claimed he found his wife’s body lying on the landing on the top storey of the house.

In 2018, police received an anonymous tip-off about Mrs Freeman’s death.

A $1 million reward was offered by police in 2022 for information leading to the arrest and subsequent conviction of anyone responsible for her death.

You Might Also Like

Multiple people feared dead in horror Bondi Beach shooting
Parts of outback WA could hit 50 degrees as temperatures surge
French man in court after warrant for alleged New Year’s Day sex assault
Residents in fear after teenagers invited to planned mass bike rideout in Sydney
Opposition Leader Sussan Ley invites Prime Minister Anthony Albanese to open royal commission
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article NSW Government shuts down two St Leonards tobacco shops suspected of being in the illicit trade
Next Article Calls for street named after disgraced former prince to be changed

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.