By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: Iran death toll passes 6000 as protests reach one month mark
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > Iran death toll passes 6000 as protests reach one month mark
World Affairs

Iran death toll passes 6000 as protests reach one month mark

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: January 27, 2026
Share

Daily London

The Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA), which has been accurate in multiple rounds of unrest in Iran, said 6126 people had been killed in clashes between protesters and government forces in the last 30 days.

The organisation said 5777 of these victims were protesters and 49 were non-protesters or civilians.

Human rights groups claim more than 6000 people have died in the government’s crackdown on unrest. (Getty)

They estimate 86 children have died, and 214 people associated with government forces have also been killed since authorities cracked down harshly on unrest at the end of last month.

The government has limited internet access inside Iran, making it difficult to verify the true death toll.

HRANA claims it is investigating more than 17,000 potential deaths. 

“Widespread internet disruptions and shutdowns have remained one of the government’s main tools for restricting the flow of information and reducing protesters’ ability to organise,” it said.

Cars drive past portrait of the late Iranian revolutionary founder Ayatollah Khomeini, left, and Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, in downtown Tehran. The theocracy has struggled to deal with dissent in recent weeks. (AP)

“This situation has effectively caused serious disruption to citizens’ access to information, communication with family members, online services, and independent media.”

Government sources claim that the death toll is only just over 3000, 2427 of which are civilians and security forces.

They have labelled the rest “terrorists”.

In the past, Iran’s theocracy has undercounted or not reported fatalities from unrest.

A billboard depicting a damaged US aircraft carrier with disabled fighter jets on its deck and a sign reading in Farsi and English, “If you sow the wind, you’ll reap the whirlwind,” is seen at Enqelab-e-Eslami (Islamic Revolution) Square in Tehran. Iran has blamed foreign powers, including the USA, for the recent unrest and protests. (AP)

That death toll exceeds that of any other round of protest or unrest there in decades, and recalls the chaos surrounding Iran’s 1979 Islamic Revolution.

HRANA figures state nearly 42,000 people have been arrested, and more than 11,000 have been severely injured in the process.
Iranian state media has tried to blame forces abroad, including the USA, for the protests.
However, the regime remains broadly unable to address the country’s ailing economy, which is still squeezed by international sanctions, particularly over its nuclear program.

– with Associated Press

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

You Might Also Like

Trump claims slain journalist Khashoggi was ‘extremely controversial’
South-east Queensland hit with more storms, smashing Warwick
‘One Battle After Another’ dominates SAG’s Actor Awards with seven nominations
Tactical police grab man when he refuses to leave shopping centre roof
Teen winched to safety after plunging metres from cliff in tourist hotspot
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article ABC launches investigation after Facebook account ‘compromised’, adult performer pictures posted
Next Article Two children approached, offered lollies by unknown driver in Sydney’s inner west

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.