By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: Labor pledges $37 million for Working with Children Check reform
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > Labor pledges $37 million for Working with Children Check reform
World Affairs

Labor pledges $37 million for Working with Children Check reform

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: November 13, 2025
Share

Daily London

The federal government has put forward $37 million for childcare reforms aimed at stopping offenders slipping through the cracks between police checks in different states.

The “banned in one, banned in all” approach involving nationwide, ongoing checks of Working with Children Check (WWCC) holders will be ready to start rolling out from the end of this year.

The child sexual abuse royal commission recommended the measure in 2015 but the stalled push for reform gained extra urgency following a string of high-profile cases involving alleged abuse at childcare centres across the country.

The federal government has promised $37 million for childcare reforms aimed at stopping offenders slipping through the cracks between police checks in different states.  (iStock)

Attorney-General Michelle Rowland will tomorrow announce the five-year funding package towards the National Continuous Checking Capability to provide “near real-time monitoring of changes to criminal history information”.

“Child safety is a top priority for the Albanese government. That’s why we are progressing a coordinated and ambitious reform agenda to achieve meaningful consistency across jurisdictions for when a person is suitable to hold a WWCC and when they should be excluded,” she said in a statement. 

“This addresses existing gaps and inconsistencies and will improve protections for children and young people.”

Rowland had previously knocked back the idea of one national database, instead leaving the states and territories to implement the collective change individually.

The government said five states and territories already recognised negative WWCC decisions from interstate and the other three were “on track” to introduce legislation this year.

The Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission has been working on a pilot since March and the attorneys-general, who meet tomorrow, agreed to the changes in August.
Attorney-General Michelle Rowland was flanked by her state and territory counterparts. (Nine)

“Currently, persons seeking to hold an entitlement, or position of trust, are subject to a point-in-time check of their criminal history through a Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check, often referred to as a police check, which is conducted through the ACIC’s National Police Checking Service (NPCS),” ACIC executive director of business and partnerships Jeremy Johnson said, in March.

“The NCCC seeks to provide an additional layer to the process by providing an ongoing, continuous, near real-time monitoring of national changes to an entitlement holder’s criminal history information. 

“This means that if an entitlement holder is charged with a relevant offence in any state or territory, this information will be passed to the relevant screening unit for their assessment.”

You Might Also Like

Months before Elaine and Kerry Anne vanished, two other girls went missing
French offices of social media platform X is raided by cybercrime unit
National day of remembrance to remember Bondi terror victims this week
Looming vote in the US marks crucial moment for Epstein files
Woman killed by lightning strike on Sunshine Coast
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Woman charged after suspicious death of elderly woman in Sydney’s north-west
Next Article Russia’s landmark AI robot collapses in seconds on debut

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.