By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: Man accused of negligent manslaughter storms out after magistrate rejects his bid to have charge thrown out
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > Man accused of negligent manslaughter storms out after magistrate rejects his bid to have charge thrown out
World Affairs

Man accused of negligent manslaughter storms out after magistrate rejects his bid to have charge thrown out

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: November 19, 2025
Share

Daily London

A man accused of negligent manslaughter has stormed out after a magistrate rejected his bid to have the charge thrown out.

John Torney, 41, watched via video link from prison as Melbourne magistrate Stephen Ballek ordered him to stand trial over Emma Bates’ death.

But he left the video link room and refused to return for the formal committal process, where he was expected to be cautioned and enter a not guilty plea.

John Torney, 41, watched via video link from prison as a Melbourne magistrate ordered him to stand trial. (Nine)

The 41-year-old repeatedly shook his head during today’s hearing, where Ballek found there was sufficient evidence for a jury to convict Torney of negligent manslaughter.

Torney has been charged over the death of Bates, whose body was found at her Cobram home near the NSW-Victoria border on April 23, 2024.

She was allegedly struck to the head by Torney in the days before but a forensic pathologist determined diabetic ketoacidosis, a condition involving high sugar levels, likely caused her death.

Prosecutors told the court Torney still owed Bates a duty of care and he should have called an ambulance when he realised she was not well.

But Torney’s barrister Hayden Rattray argued a jury could not find Torney owed her that legal duty because they were not in a de facto relationship.

It was also unclear when Bates started experiencing the ketoacidosis so it could not be said Torney’s failure to call an ambulance led to her death, Rattray said.

Emma Bates, 49, was found dead inside her home in Cobram on April 23 in 2024. (Nine)

Ballek rejected those submissions yesterday, ruling a properly instructed jury could find Torney owed a duty of care to Bates and he breached that duty by not calling an ambulance.

The magistrate said Torney and Bates had been living together as domestic partners, noting he had a key to the house and they had described each other as boyfriend-girlfriend.

Torney knew Bates had type 1 diabetes and that she monitored her condition through a glucose monitoring app on her phone, Ballek said.

It’s alleged Torney threw a glucose tester at Bates when he found her moaning the day after he’s accused of assaulting her.

He then left the home and went to the pokies instead of calling an ambulance, Ballek noted.

“The accused chose to simply desert her,” he told the court.

The magistrate said there was evidence of a sufficient weight for the case to go to trial in the Victorian Supreme Court.

He briefly left the bench so the parties could organise dates for the next hearing but when he returned, Torney had left his video link room.

Rattray asked Ballek for time to speak to his client, emphasising it was unclear whether Torney understood he was required to attend for the committal process.

Ballek allowed the adjournment, with the case to return to Melbourne Magistrates Court on November 27.

Outside court, Bates’ sister Cassandra Searle told reporters she was relieved Torney had been ordered to stand trial.

Torney was in 2016 acquitted of murdering a toddler, after the two-year-old girl’s beaten body was discovered in the roof cavity of a Mildura house.

Support is available from the National Sexual Assault, Domestic and Family Violence Counselling Service at 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732).

You Might Also Like

Sunshine Coast Council scheme could cost Missy up to $15,000 per year in fight to save family farm
Firefighters desperately try to contain out-of-control fire on NSW Mid North Coast
Loving grandfather identified as cyclist killed in Mosman hit-and-run
Dozens of writers withdraw from Adelaide Writers’ Week after Palestinian author dropped from program
Woman and child drown after falling into Melbourne creek
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Mum wants charges laid after toddler slapped at Melbourne childcare centre
Next Article Australia loses out in bid to host crucial climate conference

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.