By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: Mother confronts son’s killer after decades of pain
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > Mother confronts son’s killer after decades of pain
World Affairs

Mother confronts son’s killer after decades of pain

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: December 10, 2025
Share

Daily London

When Julie Szabo allowed her son to go to his first sleepover, she did not know he would never come home.

More than 27 years later, the guilt she carries from that decision continues to torment her mind.

Arthur Haines had been sleeping over on the top floor of a friend’s house in Sydney‘s inner south, on April 9, 1998.
Julie Szabo, the mother of Arthur Haines. (Nine News)
“It was going to be the first night he had not slept under the same roof as me,” Szabo wrote in a victim impact statement read to the NSW Supreme Court today.

“I said ‘yes’ … I think about that decision a lot.

“I gave him the biggest hug, we both said we loved each other, I didn’t know at the time it would be one of our last hugs.

Gregory John Walker has been charged with murder over the death of Arthur Haines in 1998. (Supplied)

“The guilt I carry is so heavy.”

That night, a neighbourhood dispute turned ugly.

Gregory John Walker, then 30, threw a Molotov cocktail into the kitchen of the Waterloo home.

Within minutes, flames and smoke had begun consuming the house and heating the floor beneath Arthur’s feet.

The teenager, trapped in the third-floor bedroom, had no choice but to jump.

Arthur Haines died in a house fire in Waterloo in 1998. (9News)

When he landed, his body was smouldering, having sustained severe burns on up to 65 per cent of his body.

Arthur died in hospital 11 weeks later.

Walker was forced to confront his victim’s family for the first time in almost three decades as Szabo’s words reverberated through Darlinghurst Courthouse.

He looked straight ahead for most of the statement, until its final line.

“I will never forget what you have done to my son,” Szabo’s statement said.

“If it were not for you, my son would still be here today.”

The mother looked over at Walker, and the arsonist glanced back.

Arthur’s case went unsolved for more than two decades, until a third investigation – which offered a $1 million award for information – led to Walker’s arrest in 2022.

He pleaded guilty to manslaughter in October.

Arthur Haines died 11 weeks after a house fire in Waterloo, Sydney, in 1998. (NSW Police)

“On paper, justice has been served,” Szabo’s statement said.

“But as a mother whose son died so tragically, there will never be justice.”

While she outlined the depth and breadth of her pain, she said it was nothing compared to what Arthur had suffered.

The teenager spent two months in hospital fighting for his life, stuck on a ventilator before eventually succumbing to his injuries.

Every Easter, Szabo’s pain worsens, and every Christmas – Arthur’s favourite time of year – the signs of his absence grow clearer.

She has tried to cope by growing a garden in the home they used to share.

Julie has tried to cope by growing a garden in the home they used to share. (Steven Siewert)

Lemons, pomegranates, dragon fruit, blood orange, passionfruit and more line the perimeter while a bleeding heart vine grows outside her window.

“(It) is a representation of my own heart”, she said.

Walker faces another charge of maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm after he punched a neighbour and bit off part of his ear in April 1998.

“If you think that was a big fire, wait until you see my next one,” Walker told the man in a separate interaction about a week after the fire.

In 2014, he told a witness that if he had “known there was a kid there, I wouldn’t have gone through with it”.

Walker faces up to 25 years in prison.

You Might Also Like

Man accused of negligent manslaughter storms out after magistrate rejects his bid to have charge thrown out
Latest Epstein file photos appear to show former Prince Andrew on floor with woman
South-east Queensland hit with more storms, smashing Warwick
Was an ICE officer allowed to open fire at a driver? The rules explained
Riahne Louie “Chuckie” Vasquez died in sandbar collapse
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Woman in critical condition after allegedly being run over in Narrelan Vale
Next Article Federal politicians billed taxpayers $1.1 million for their family’s travel

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.