Daily London
Police allege the threat came after Spender condemned the group for holding a police-authorised rally outside the NSW parliament on November 8.
But Davis’ barrister Sebastian De Brennan argued there is an innocent explanation behind Davis’ social media post.
He faced the Downing Centre Local Court today to apply for his client to be released on bail and tendered supporting documents, including a sworn statement.
“The affidavit annexes some literature that goes some way, in my submission, to explaining that what he said on social media was in fact a philosophical term of art,” De Brennan said.
Davis has been in custody for nearly two months and his lawyer argued there is potential urgency to the bail application because of a change in his circumstances, “not least of which is delay”.
While the crown prosecutor acknowledged there had been delays, she said a substantial brief of evidence was due to be served on De Brennan today.
Organisers, supporters and recruiters of listed groups face a maximum of 15 years in prison under the proposed laws while members face seven.
Support is available by calling Lifeline on 13 11 14 or beyondblue on 1300 22 4636.

