By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: New search for accused police shooter Dezi Freeman
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > New search for accused police shooter Dezi Freeman
World Affairs

New search for accused police shooter Dezi Freeman

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: February 1, 2026
Share

Daily London

A major new search for alleged police shooter Dezi Freeman will kick off this morning as more than 100 police and volunteers join detectives in northern Victoria.

The five-day search of Mount Buffalo National Park, near Porepunkah, will kick off today near where the fugitive was last known to be.

A new search for alleged police shooter Dezi Freeman kicks off this week. (A Current Affair)

A third police officer was seriously wounded and continues to recover.

The officers were among a team of police executing a search warrant on Freeman’s property as part of an investigation by the Wangaratta Sexual Offences and Child Abuse Investigation Team.

Mount Buffalo National Park has already been the focus of police activity in the hunt for Freeman, with a five-day search undertaken in part of the park last December.

Police have maintained a presence in the region since the shooting in August last year. (Joe Armao)

This week’s search will focus on an area adjoining that of the December search.

Canine and drone units will be deployed, along with the services of a cadaver dog team from NSW Police.

Both this week’s search and last December’s are based on intelligence police received relating to a gunshot heard a short time after the Porepunkah shooting on the morning of August 26.

The new search will focus on Mount Buffalo National Park. (Victoria Police)

Police say there is no specific intelligence to suggest Freeman, a self-proclaimed “sovereign citizen”, is being assisted by somebody in the local community, but it remains a possibility.

A $1 million reward has been posted for information leading to his arrest – a first in Victorian history.

“This incident, which resulted in the deaths of Neal and Vadim, continues to have a significant impact on both Victoria Police and the Porepunkah community more broadly,” Detective Inspector Adam Tilley said.

“It remains our number one priority to locate Freeman and the extensive and systematic searches conducted over the past five months are testament to this.”

Dezi Freeman is a self-declared sovereign citizen. (A Current Affair)

He said police remained conviced information from the community would be crucial to the case and urged anybody with any knowledge to come forward.

“This could be anything you have heard about Freeman’s actions on the day or the shooting or his current whereabouts, or anything you may have seen in the Mount Buffalo National Park area that you think is suspicious or could be connected to Freeman,” he said.

“If you do have any information, then I urge you to contact police or Crime Stoppers and as always, this can be done confidentially.”

Meanwhile, anybody who sees Freeman is urged not to approach him but to call Triple Zero immediately.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

You Might Also Like

Menulog closing in Australia: Thousands of Aussies like Alexi and Andrew just lost an income
First victim of Swiss Alps bar fire identified, scores fighting for life in hospitals
Canadian teenager found dead identified as Piper James
Reference to Trump’s impeachments is removed from the display of his Smithsonian photo portrait
The political scandal every Australian PM could be at risk of repeating
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Judge orders five-year-old and father be released from US immigration detention
Next Article Nationals leader David Littleproud tipped to survive leadership challenge

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.