By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: Queenslanders in path of likely cyclone urged to prepare
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > Queenslanders in path of likely cyclone urged to prepare
World Affairs

Queenslanders in path of likely cyclone urged to prepare

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: January 9, 2026
Share

Daily London

“Plan for the worst” was the message from Premier David Crisafulli after today’s emergency management meeting.

Sodden catchments that have endured days of rainfall, between Hope Vale in the north and Mackay in the south, some already exceeding half a metre of rain, are set to receive even more when the system reaches the coast sometime tomorrow.

A tree came down on cars. Authorities warn high winds combined with sodden ground can lead to tree fall. (Nine)

Crisafulli said additional police, fire and rescue and SES personnel had been deployed to the area.

“They join many thousands of local people who live and work in these areas and who are very experienced in this,” the premier said.

“If you know you’re in a low-lying area, now’s the time to get your sandbags.

“I’m just asking people just to do the little things today to help, when this rainfall event does come in whatever shape it takes and wherever it comes, there’s no harm in doing the preparation now.

“This rainfall will impact a large area, a large population, but they have great experience and great nous in being able to handle this.”

Sandbagging station are being replensished as authorities warn now is the time to prepare. (Nine)

Chris Hooper from Ergon Energy said people in warning areas should get ready for power outages.

“With these sort of systems that come through, we could expect to lose power,” he said.

Mobile phone services could also be impacted.

Deputy Police Commissioner Chris Stream was scathing of people driving into floodwaters despite warnings ad nauseam.

“It’s critical that people through those warning areas remain vigilant, and pay close attention to both the bureau warnings and also the information supplied through the disaster.qld.gov.au website,” Stream said.

Queenslanders in path of likely cyclone urged to prepare (9News)

“You have all seen that emergency services have had to carry out a number of rescues over the last, several days.

“That has included two rescue activities in the last 24 hours.

“This is beyond stupidity,” Stream said.

“When you drive into floodwaters, this is negligent activity, you are placing yourselves and your passengers at risk, as well as other people that have to come and rescue you from those situations.”

Townsville Mayor Nick Dametto said sandbagging sites are being replenished.

He urged people to be “prepared but not panicked”.

A person is winched from their vehicle in floodwaters. (Nine)

”With warnings of heavy rain and wind, we could see power outages over the weekend and next 48 hours,” Dametto said.

“We want people to take this seriously but not be worried to the point where they’re stripping the shelves.”

Meanwhile Cairns residents are now on level four water restrictions and are being asked to restrict their water use to drinking, cooking, and bathing due to “high turbidity” in the catchment.

Emergency kits should contain food, bottled water and medication for three to four days, pet supplies, torches with batteries and a radio.

You Might Also Like

Multiple explosions in Venezuelan capital Caracas
Six-year-old girl is the sole survivor of a family that perished in crash
Neo-Nazi who protested outside NSW parliament to be deported back home to South Africa
Apple Watch lost at sea reclaimed after month-long journey
‘Uwan’ makes landfall in the Philippines
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Three people unaccounted for in Victoria as state faces catastrophic and extreme fire conditions
Next Article Thieves steal lifeguard jet skis from waterfront yard

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.