By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: Trump’s latest move shows he may be backing down in Minneapolis
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > Trump’s latest move shows he may be backing down in Minneapolis
World Affairs

Trump’s latest move shows he may be backing down in Minneapolis

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: January 27, 2026
Share

Daily London

Border Patrol commander-at-large Greg Bovino and some of his agents will leave the city today.

Instead, White House border tsar Tom Homan will be sent to manage Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) in the city.

Greg Bovino has been running ICE operations in Minnesota. (AP)

The Atlantic is reporting Bovino is being removed from his wide-ranging role and return to his previous position in California.

He will retire soon, the news magazine said.

The White House did not respond to requests for comment.

ICE’s actions in Minnesota’s largest city have been deeply unpopular.

A New York Times/Siena poll found just 26 per cent of voters thought ICE’s tactics were “just right” and 61 per cent said they had “gone too far”.

Bovino claimed that Pretti intended to “massacre” federal agents.

Protesters came out en masse in Minneapolis after the shooting death of Alex Pretti. (AP)

But multiple video angles of the shooting showed Pretti did not have his hands on his holstered gun at any point during the confrontation.

The gun had been taken away from him before the first of the 10 shots were fired.

“I don’t know of any peaceful protester that shows up with a gun and ammunition rather than a sign,” she said of Pretti in the hours after his death.

“This is a violent riot when you have someone showing up with weapons and are using them to assault law enforcement officers.”

ICE’s actions in Minneapolis have been deeply unpopular. (AP)

More than 100 members of Congress, all Democrats, are pushing to impeach Noem.

ICE’s presence in Minneapolis has been particularly controversial.

The city is on the other side of the country from the Mexican border, and has a lower proportion of overseas-born residents than the country as a whole.

Already deeply unpopular among Democrats and independents, ICE’s actions in Minneapolis are now alienating Republicans.

Republican candidate for governor Chris Madel announced he would not only drop out of the race, but leave the party altogether.

Greg Bovino shouts at members of the media in Minneapolis. (AP)

“I cannot support the national Republicans’ stated retribution on the citizens of our state, nor can I count myself a member of a party that would do so,” he said.

Meanwhile, state officials have asked a federal judge to issue a temporary restraining order for the administration to reduce its ICE activities in the city.

In another case, state and local law enforcement are seeking an order preventing the federal government from destroying evidence in the Pretti investigation.

The administration is not cooperating with a local investigation, and the federal investigation is being handled by ICE itself.

“There is nowhere that you can provide safe haven to people who are in the country illegally, not the Super Bowl, not anywhere else,” the Department of Homeland Security’s Corey Lewandowski said.

The Super Bowl will be held in Santa Clara in California this year.

An ICE agent sprays pepper spray directly into the eyes of a protester who is pinned to the ground. (AP)

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

You Might Also Like

Fourteen Australians arrested in Bali in raid involving controversial content creator Bonnie Blue
Woman in critical condition after allegedly being run over in Narrelan Vale
Children’s author David Walliams denies inappropriate behaviour after publisher drops him
Underworld boss George Marrogi wins legal fight over prison conditions
Pair charged after allegedly smuggling $32 million of heroin into Brisbane
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Popular Blue Mountains lookout Lincoln’s Rock closed due to safety concerns
Next Article Knox Grammar School teacher William Gulson guilty of child procurement

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.