By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Daily LondonDaily London
Font ResizerAa
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Reading: Unrecognisable scenes as raging bushfire clears Ruffy
Share
Font ResizerAa
Daily LondonDaily London
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Search
  • UK & Europe News
  • World Affairs
  • Tech & Innovation
  • Culture & Society
  • Voices of London
Follow US
© 2025 Daily london. All Rights Reserved.
Daily London > World Affairs > Unrecognisable scenes as raging bushfire clears Ruffy
World Affairs

Unrecognisable scenes as raging bushfire clears Ruffy

Daily London
By Daily London
Published: January 9, 2026
Share

Daily London

The out-of-control blaze in Longwood has already burnt more than 48,000 hectares of land around the townships of Ruffy, Tarcombe, Caveat and Dropmore as the state battles the most dangerous conditions since the Black Summer fires.

In the small town of Ruffy, south of the fire, at least 10 homes have been destroyed.

Buildings destroyed in Ruffy by the Longwood fire. (George Roye/Facebook)

“It looks like an atomic bomb has gone off,” CFA Captain George Noye told ABC this morning.

“We’ve lost the old school, the old Ruffy produce store is gone, three houses on the main street.

“We’ve lost countless homes across the area. Ten of my firefighters that I know of have lost homes.”

Noye told 9News this afternoon that the fire has cleared homes, buildings and livestock.

“There’s not much left. It’s just ash. If we go away to a lot of fires, and we see this happen with communities… It’s devastating,” he said, becoming visibly emotional.

George Noye became visibly emotional speaking about the damage to Ruffy. (Nine)

Victoria Police Deputy Commissioner Robert Hill said firefighters had come across a man, woman and child near a home and advised them to take shelter because it was too late to evacuate.

Those firefighters later went back to the home and saw it had been destroyed by the fire.

“Those three people remain unaccounted for. Where that house has been destroyed is still a hot spot, and we are yet to be able to put the strike team from the fire services into that area to conduct an assessment for us,” Hill said.

Another building gutted after the Longwood fire. (George Roye/Facebook)

The Longwood fire has been described as “incredibly dynamic” with emergency services warning it is spreading in multiple directions.

Residents in the impact zone have been told it is too late to leave and shelter now, while others in potential impact areas are urged to evacuate now.

Victoria is experiencing extreme fire conditions due to the peaking heatwave and strong, dry winds.

The Longwood bushfire is threatening to spread in multiple directions. (VicEmergency)

There are currently seven emergency bushfires burning across the state in Longwood, Walwa, Streatham, Natimuk, Harcourt and Ravenswood, Muckatah and Bamganie.

Temperatures reached 46.7 degrees in Walpeup and 42.9 degrees in Melbourne.

A total fire ban is in place for all of Victoria today.

You Might Also Like

Iranian prosecutor denies Trump’s claim 800 prisoners were spared execution
Madam made ‘intriguing’ call after young Sydney model vanished
The world’s biggest company just told everyone to chill out
Man shot dead by police was holding knife to woman’s throat
Independent MP charged with domestic violence against wife after cops called to home
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Greenland and Denmark diplomats meet with White House officials as Trump pushes for ownership
Next Article Volkswagen Touareg 2020-2024 model SUV recalled due to potential fire risk

Stay Connected

16k Like
85k Follow
45.6k Subscribe
Telegram Follow
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Interstate crews brought in to help firefighters battle massive blaze
World Affairs
International Olympic Committee grills organisers at Milan meeting
World Affairs
Search for vulnerable woman who disappeared from bus stop nearly two months ago
World Affairs
Man arrested after allegedly mimicking shooting near footbridge
World Affairs

Daily London – The Global Pulse from the UK

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[email-subscribers-form id=”1″]

Daily LondonDaily London
© 2025 Daily London. All Rights Reserved.